Green Fund to hold open meeting

The UA Green Fund Committee will be holding a meeting to present proposals to the public on Tuesday.

The UA Green Fund is a student-led group developed last semester to allocate money to sustainable projects on campus. The group has $400,000 to dole out to different green projects.

The meeting is at 7 p.m., in the Tucson Room of the Student Union Memorial Center.

This will be the first time the public is able to see the submitted proposals.

“”Basically the idea is to give a very open and transparent discussion on the board’s decisions on what proposals to fund,”” said Chad Travis, a pre-business sophomore and committee vice-chair.

The committee will give a short background on each proposal but try to move through all 32 proposals quickly, Travis said.

Proposals are broken up into three categories — energy, water and garden, and sustainability education — to make sure the fund picks projects that will have a broad impact, Travis said. While there are categories for each project, it is possible some may overlap.

“”I encourage students to, if not go to the meeting, at least read about what it did support,”” said Garrett Voge, accounting sophomore and committee member. “”These are committees that students directly kind of like funnel where the money’s going. Students have a say rather than some other tuition fees where students don’t necessarily have a huge say in it.””  

Voge said just reading through the proposals opened his eyes not only to what the UA hopes to do with sustainability, but what it is already doing. He said he hopes students take notice of what the campus is doing in regard to sustainability.

“”I think its fascinating how many different ideas are out there from different departments and just how much ingenuity … is in each proposal,”” Travis said. “”I’m really excited to see the impact it will have on our school.””