Two female students assaulted near campus, according to reports

Courtesy UAPD

University of Arizona Police Department officers on the UA campus. 

Two female University of Arizona students reported assaults near the university campus Nov. 3 and Nov. 5, according to a Clery report from the University of Arizona Police Department.

The UAPD and the Tucson Police Department are investigating the two reports, which were reported separately. The police do not know if the two incidents are related. 

The UAPD held a press conference to address the rumors that were spreading around campus after the attacks. Rumors included incorrect numbers of attacks and why the female students were attacked. For example, the rumor about the females being attacked due to a gang initiation is false, according to UAPD Chief Brian Seastone 

“The facts are that the Tucson Police Department have received two reports of assaults over a two day period,” explained Seastone. The first assault was reported on Nov. 3 the second on Nov. 5. Both of these involved women near the University campus. I want to emphasize these occurred on separate nights, and the descriptions are different except the suspects were both men in both cases.”

The first incident was at 1:30 a.m. Nov. 3 in the “1500 block of East Drachman,” down the street from the School of Medicine. According to the report, the student was “attacked from behind and pushed to the ground, and the suspect attempted to take her phone.” She was able to roll over and kick the suspect, causing him to flee.

When the female student reported the incident, she described the suspect as a Hispanic male who was wearing a gray hoodie. She couldn’t provide any other information about the suspect at that time, according to Seastone. 

Another student was attacked Nov. 5 near the UA Campus Rec Center at Sixth Street and Highland Avenue at 8:30 p.m. She was not able to recall the initial attack but “recalls waking up while being dragged by the suspect,” according to the report. She was able to stand and kick and punch the suspect, who fled. Her phone was stolen but later recovered.

The suspect in this case was described as an over 6-foot-tall white male with shoulder-length brown hair, a thick beard and a mustache. 

“I want to emphasize there have been no other reports since the last report on Nov. 5,” Seastone said.

The incidents were reported to the TPD, who notified the UAPD. Yesterday, a CLERY warning was issued to by the UAPD to increase awareness, promote safety measures and encourage people to call the police whenever they see something strange and unusual or they need police assistance.

“These were reported to the Tucson Police Department, and because of the proximity to campus, a Clery warning was sent. These affect the UA community,” Officer Ramon Moreno of UAPD said.

Officer Moreno said that UAPD is working closely with TPD in order to resolve these matters. “We work with them on an ongoing basis. Any new info they receive, they get a hold of us, and we put out what we can to the community.”

UAPD has put out a list of some safety tips to follow if you feel uncomfortable walking around campus. These include:

Safety Tips:

·  Utilize ASUA Safe Ride (520) 621-7233 (during evening hours)

·  When possible, walk in groups or pairs. Safety in numbers

·  Let people know where you’re going and when you expect to return home

·  Use the blue light system, which sends police to your location when the button is pushed. If you are being followed, you can walk to the next blue light you see, press the button and the police will track your walk.

·  Be aware of your surroundings. Walk in well lighted areas and where people are present. 

·  Report suspicious and unusual activity by calling 911 when it is safe to do so immediately report if you need police assistance

·  Download and use the UA LiveSafe app on your smartphone for free. The SafeWalk feature allows students to connect with friends to virtually monitor their walk through the phone.

Seastone urged people to report information if they knew anything about either of these cases. To report, call 911 or (520) 88-CRIME, if you wish to remain anonymous.

The Daily Wildcat will provide more information as it becomes available. 

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter