Police Beat: Aug. 24

It was my roommate, I swear.

The University of Arizona Police Department responded to a call from a resident assistant in Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., referencing the odor of marijuana coming from a third floor male residence on Friday.

Upon arrival, the RA stated that he “”smelled a very strong odor of burning marijuana coming from (a third floor room)”” during his duty rounds at approximately 11:40 p.m. Reports say that marijuana was, in fact, present in the room. The resident stated he was not using it but his roommate probably was. The RA made contact with the resident’s roommate and asked him to return. When the man arrived, he said the marijuana belonged to him and his roommate “”had nothing to do with it.””

The man said he purchased the marijuana, “”half of an eighth for $30,”” from another man sitting on the corner of Sixth Street and Euclid Avenue. No description of the seller was given. The resident was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of narcotics.

Let’s be best friends … not!

The UAPD responded to a report of suspicious activity at the UA Main Library on Friday at approximately 11:40 a.m. after a woman witnessed her cousin being approached and harassed by a man. The woman said the man approached her cousin saying she “”was pretty … had a small waist … and (he) would like to show her around Tucson.”” The male also gave the woman’s cousin a library card that read, “”Let’s be best friends.”” The woman said her cousin asked the man to leave her alone and he did not.

Later that day, the woman’s cousin — a member of the Center for English as a Second Language program — was taking a tour through the library at about 3:30 p.m. when the man approached her for a second time. She became fearful of returning to the library to utilize the facility again.

No further information was given.

It’s Friday night, why am I at UMC?

UAPD responded to Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., in response to a male carrying a female, who was passed out, into the dorms.

When police arrived at Coronado at approximately 11:30 p.m., they met the RA at the door and were told the female passed out on one of Coronado’s concrete benches. The unidentified male had carried her into the residence hall on his shoulder. The RA told the man he could not bring the female in the dorm like that. The man said a cab dropped the woman off in front of Coronado and the cab driver said someone needed to take her inside.

Police tried to wake the woman who was still passed out and non-responsive. Reports say she had a strong odor of alcohol on her breath. Police called the paramedics and she was immediately transported to University Medical Center.

On Saturday at approximately 4:30 a.m., police responded to UMC to follow-up on the woman’s condition. She was fully alert and conscious to speak to the officer. The officer asked the woman if she knew why she woke up at UMC. She said she did not remember the night before nor did she know why she was at UMC. The last thing she remembered, reports say, is that she was at an apartment with her friends and drank “”very little vodka in a glass … and fruit punch.””

She was later released and cited for minor with spirituous liquor in the body. She was referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Knock knock, marijuana anyone?

UAPD responded to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth Street, on Thursday where a man was suspected of going door-to-door selling marijuana.

The man they believed to be selling the marijuana was a shirtless male walking away from the residence hall. The man, identified by a California state identification, had been selling marijuana to the residents inside. Officers questioned a male suspected of purchasing the marijuana from the seller. In the lobby of Arizona-Sonora, the man denied purchasing marijuana. When taken outside in private, he admitted to the officer he had purchased a bag and then “”stashed it”” inside a residence hall restroom in a toilet paper dispenser.

The officer detected a fresh odor of marijuana coming from the seller, who attempted to reach into his left pocket before the officer stopped him. After a body search, the officer found some marijuana and a $20 bill. The seller said he was not a resident of Arizona-Sonora, but a resident at Seasons Apartment Complex.

The man, a UA student, was arrested, taken to Pima County Jail and later referred to the Dean of Students Office for violating the UA Code of Conduct.