Police Beat

Caught red handed

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a shoplifter in custody at the Student Union Memorial Center Bookstore on June 30 at 1:24 p.m.

A UA Loss Prevention officer stopped a pair of female minors leaving the bookstore after observing surveillance footage of one minor stealing a clear plastic ID cardholder.

Footage showed one minor placing the item in her hand under her phone before checking out the rest of the merchandise. Later, after peeling off the price tag, it was placed in her purse with the phone.

One minor is a future freshman visiting with her friend from California.

When questioned she said she picked up the cardholder and asked her friend if she was going to buy it because it was only $3.

Despite its low cost, the bookstore policy is to prosecute regardless of the dollar amount. She admitted to unintentionally stealing the

card holder.

Nevertheless, she was charged with larceny. UAPD completed a Pima County Juvenile Court paper referral, and she was released.

Smelly cleats

A UAPD officer conducted a traffic stop on a BMW on July 5 at 10:49 p.m. after noticing the vehicle had expired tags on its license plate.

The male driver identified himself as a UA student and admitted knowing his registration was expired. Meanwhile the officer could smell marijuana inside the vehicle and asked the driver about it.

The driver said his friends frequently borrow his car, but he was not aware of any marijuana.

When searching the vehicle the officer noticed a blue pair of Nike football cleats. Inside the cleats was a clear plastic bag with 2.4 grams of marijuana.

The student said he plays football but the cleats belong to his friend.

He was charged for driving with a suspended license and possession of marijuana.

“I don’t want to lie to you”

A UAPD officer noticed a red pick-up truck traveling well above the speed limit, heading westbound on Sixth Street on July 9 at 3:28 p.m.

Radar clocked the pick-up going 42 mph in a posted 30 mph zone.

After conducting a traffic stop the officer noticed the smell of marijuana coming from the driver’s open window.

When asked about the smell the driver replied, “I don’t know.” He added that he was driving his mother-in-law’s truck for the day. The officer then asked the driver to step out so he could conduct a search.

The driver quickly changed his mind, responding, “I don’t want to lie to you, it’s in the glove box.”

The officer asked what was in the glove box? He replied, “weed” rolled in a “blunt.”

The search of the vehicle revealed a Swisher Sweet Cigarillos bag in the glove box containing one rolled, brown cigar containing a leafy green substance consistent with the odor and appearance of marijuana.

The driver added he received the marijuana from a friend, and he smokes it once a day for pain in his webbed feet.

The driver was arrested for possession of marijuana, cited and released.