ASUA: Bear Down Camp on the move

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona met Wednesday to listen to Bear Down Camp and Proposition 100 presentations.

Daniel Hernandez, a senior fellow of the Arizona Students’ Association, presented a PowerPoint with information on Proposition 100, a ballot proposition for a temporary one-cent increase in Arizona’s sales tax intended to protect education, public safety and health and human services.

“”This is a critical moment in Arizona history,”” Hernandez said. “”Arizona has not faced an economic crisis like this since World War II. Without Proposition 100, there will be more cuts. Spending has been cut by record levels.””

The PowerPoint included information on Proposition 100, budget cuts and the continued growth in Arizona.

“”We need your support,”” Hernandez said.

While ASUA cannot directly act upon Proposition 100, the senators found the presentation valuable.

“”While ASUA cannot take a stance on anything political, I thank you for your information,”” Wallace said.

Mollie Beshears, newly appointed director of Bear Down Camp, a university immersion camp for incoming freshmen to attend a week before they start classes, presented some of the program’s changes.

Beshears said that Bear Down Camp will be moved to another campsite.

Sen. Stephen Wallace expressed appreciation for Beshears’ efforts with Bear Down Camp.

“”It’s uncommon for a freshman to take on such a big task, and I think it’s great,”” said Wallace.

The senate also approved a $400 funds request for T-shirts and a conference for the mentors in the Peer Mentorship program.

After approving the minutes from last week’s meeting, Sen. Leo Yamaguchi read the consent agenda, which included club-funding requests. ASUA allocated $7,615.72 in club funding of the requested $24,212.47.