Police Beat: January 23

Not all those who wander are lost but some are

A UA student was arrested on charges of minor in possession near Arizona Stadium at 11:12 p.m. on Jan. 17.

A University of Arizona police officer approached the man after
    seeing him “stumbling around” near the south side of the stadium.

“I’m just trying to get to Coronado,” the man said, when police asked if he was all right.

The man spoke in a “disjointed manner, had trouble balancing, watery bloodshot eyes and a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his body and breath,” a UAPD officer noted.

The student provided a California driver’s license for identification and sat to speak with police. He was younger than 21 years old.

The man said he had drank a lot “everywhere” and admitted to having consumed both beer and liquor.

An officer asked the man where he currently was, to which the man replied, “Coronado,” though he was still outside Arizona Stadium. Police then asked if the man had smoked any marijuana that night.

“Probably like half an hour ago,” the man said. “I’m just wasted. I want to go to bed.”

The student was cited and released for minor in possession and escorted to Coronado Residence Hall.

Sorry, Robin Hood

UAPD officers went to Árbol de la Vida Residence Hall in response to a report of the smell of marijuana at 12:06 a.m. on Jan. 17.

Officers knocked on the door that the smell seemed to be coming from. A student answered and consented to a search of his side of the room. His roommate wasn’t home.

UAPD didn’t find any marijuana, but did find three empty alcohol bottles and several shot glasses in the man’s closet.

Police also found an Easton backpack in the closet containing a bow and 10 arrows. The student said the items were for competitive target shooting.

UAPD told the student that weapons aren’t allowed on campus and that the items would be taken into UAPD property for safekeeping.

The student said he understood and added that he’d be able to find storage for the bow and arrows within the next few days.

Drachman disappearing act

A road bike was stolen from Roy P. Drachman Hall between 7:15 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. on Jan. 17.

A UA student reported the theft to UAPD. The bike, a GT GTR Series 3 road bike, was fastened to a southeast bike rack using a cable lock valued at about $30.

When the student returned to the bike rack at 9:15 a.m., the lock had been cut and lay on the ground. The stolen bike was valued at $800, according to the student.

The student provided a serial number to UAPD. There are currently no suspects or witnesses.