Q+A: DeCarlo to hypnotize Tucson

If you’re in the mood to be hypnotized Friday, head to the Desert Diamond Casino. Dominick DeCarlo is a UA alumnus and a hypnotist, and will be performing a free show at the Desert Diamond Sept. 27 at 9 p.m.

What can people expect to see while attending your performance?
    They will see a one-and-only, multimedia, Las Vegas-style extravaganza like they’ve never seen before … It’s a 26-scene journey that I take the hypnotizers through. I do it without humiliating anyone, I don’t do any X-rated scenes; it’s a clean show. I basically take them on a journey.

Can anybody be a hypnotist?
    It’s not a gift like a psychic ability. I didn’t wake up one day and say, “”Oh my god, I have this ability.”” I actually studied under a teacher and went through a mentorship and apprenticeship, and I learned the trade of hypnotism, and then I used my artsy-fartsy background – i.e. my media arts degree from the University of Arizona – to make it kind of my own show, and created this hypno-video concept.

How have you remained successful?
    I found a job that I am using all of my talents for and avoiding using my not-so-good talents.

If you could have second career what would it be?
    Probably a professional tennis player or professional volleyball player.

What is your proudest professional achievement?
    Probably becoming the number one show in Latin America. In the two months that I was in Latin America – and you have to realize this show, to a lot of very religious or right-wing very conservative people, is very controversial. They think it’s black magic. I’ve been called the devil.

What do you hope to accomplish in the next three years?
    Very easy, David Copperfield’s magic is going to be Dominick DeCarlo’s hypnotism.