Likins walks for last time

In spite of recent health problems, President Peter Likins will confer degrees for the last time before his retirement in UAs 134th commencement Saturday.
    In spite of recent health problems, President Peter Likins will confer degrees for the last time before his retirement in UA’s 134th commencement Saturday.

Despite recent health problems, President Peter Likins will confer degrees for the last time at UA’s 134th commencement Saturday, officials said.

Two ceremonies will be held at McKale Center, with one academic procession beginning at 9 a.m. and another at 1:30 p.m, said UA media relations manager Rebecca Ruiz-McGill.

This is the largest commencement in UA history, with 6,144 degrees to be awarded, Ruiz-McGill said.

Even though Likins was hospitalized in mid-April because of problems with his pacemaker, he is still participating in his 18th ceremony since becoming president in 1997.

“”This being his last one, we knew it would be important for him to be there,”” Ruiz-McGill said.

Singer, entertainer and actor Ben Vereen will sing a tribute to Likins to honor the contributions he has made to the UA during his tenure as president.

U.S. Rep. Jim Kolbe will deliver the keynote address during the morning ceremony, and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano will deliver the address during the afternoon ceremony.

“”I’m really honored that they accepted the invitation, and we’re really glad they are taking the time to be there on a special day for so many graduates,”” Ruiz-McGill said.

Kolbe, Napolitano, film producer and Emmy award-winner Jerry Bruckheimer and chairman of the board of Bashas’ Supermarkets, Edward N. Basha, are among some of the honorary degree recipients.