Softball ends undefeated fall season on high note

Arizona’s softball team wrapped up its fall season by beating Yavapai and Eastern Arizona by a combined margin of 19-1 in two games on Saturday at Hillbrand Stadium. By winning both, the Wildcats finished the fall season with a perfect 9-0 record, outscoring opponents 91-5.

Despite facing junior colleges, sophomore pitcher Shelby Babcock says that this competition is very important for her team.

“Last season, we had a bad fall, and we still almost made it,” she said. “I love this fall. We’re all coming together and working harder.”

In the first game of the double header, the pitching was dominant in only allowing one hit against Yavapai, but the real stars of the day were the Wildcat bats. All 14 of Arizona’s runs came off of home runs, as four players knocked the ball out of the park.

The Wildcats had more grand slams (two) than Yavapai had baserunners (one) for the entire game. The grand slams were popped out of Hillenbrand by freshman Hallie Wilson and Tennessee transfer Jessica Spigner.

Freshman catcher Chelsea Goodacre had three homers total, and after her first nine games as a college athlete is second on the team with a .652 batting average and five home runs. According to her, it has been a work in process with the coaching staff.

“We were just seeing the ball differently, and that’s what we’ve been trying to do,” Goodacre said. “The coaching has really helped us. It feels great.”

Head coach Mike Candrea was very pleased not only with Goodacre’s performance, but the rest of the freshman as well.

“I think our new talent has come in and played well,” he said. “It’s exciting to see that they’re capable of contributing their freshman year, so I’m excited about that. The key for them is to continue to improve.”

Aside from getting playing time and performing well, Goodacre was concerned with something else.

“I’m a freshman, so I just wanted to get an Arizona uniform on,” she joked. “I wanted to get my feet wet, and it feels really good.”

In Saturday’s second game, the bats were again on fire, smacking the ball for 10 hits and nine runs in the first two innings. The pitching was also dominant, as Babcock had a no-hitter going before being pulled in the last inning.

Six Wildcats registered hits in the fourth inning alone, on the way to a 16-hit performance that included another two homeruns, bringing the day’s total to eight.

Now that fall ball is over, the next time the Wildcats will take the field will be its season opener in the Kajikawa Classis in Tempe in February. Candrea insists they are not yet the team to beat, but will be ready for the season.

“We’ve got work to do still. The regular season will tell its tale as we play it,” he said. “We can’t predict the future, but I think we’re ready to go. It’s going to be an exciting year.”