Bands rock for a cause

Zak Stucchi, front, and Philip Bloom of the band Blueskyreality perform at Bear Down Field Friday night at the Rock for a Wish benefit concert presented by the Chi Omega sorority.

The women of Chi Omega sorority provided great music for a great cause at their annual Rock for a Wish concert Friday night, with all proceeds going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“”There is a lot of planning and a lot of contact work before hand. It’s stressful and challenging planning an event like this, but it is so worth it,”” said studio art junior Kendal Scott, who headed up the event. “”It is incredibly rewarding knowing that all the hard work goes straight into granting a child’s wish.””

The Rock for a Wish concert showcased the bands Kool Shades and BlueSkyReality.

Kelly Godfrey, a pre-nursing major and sophomore in Chi Omega, said Kool Shades “” … had a lot of guitar and great vocals. It was music you can really move to.””

The second band of the night, BlueSkyReality, kept the atmosphere “”chill.””

“”I really like their music! If I were to sum it up I would say they sound like Gavin Degraw but they remind me of Fall Out Boy. They are awesome,”” said Chi Omega sophomore and molecular and cellular biology major Natalie LaHood.

Philanthropic events like the Rock for a Wish concert are especially important for not only the Greek community, but UA as a whole, Godfrey said.

“”It is truly amazing to have the opportunity to put on events like this. Not only are we raising money for a good cause, but we get to hang out with great friends and listen to great music. This allows us to give back to our community and those in need while uniting everyone in contributing to a greater purpose.””

The Rock for a Wish concert has grown tremendously since it was first put on in 2006, Scott said.

“”Every year more and more people show support for this cause. Everything we make from the concert goes to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, so the bigger the better.”” Scott explained.

Members of Chi Omega mentioned that it costs on average $5000 to grant a wish for a terminally ill child. Since 2002 Chi Omega has donated over 2 million dollars nationally to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Chi Omega President Katie Hundere said the Make-A-Wish benefit concert, along with all other philanthropic events presented by the Greek community, are to unite UA as a whole.

“”Events like this are not about the Greek community at all. It’s about using our resources to benefit the campus community as well our various charities,”” said Hundere. “”Part of these resources is being Greek, and the availability of social networking. But these events are to unite everyone for a great cause.””

Hundere closed the night by announcing to the audience that enough money was raised from the concert to grant a wish for a child – and that really does rock.

Both bands performed the concert free of charge and can be found online at Myspace.com.