Senate field narrows to 20

Senate field narrows to 20

While the ASUA Primary Elections saw a Kiva Room full of smiles last night, two Senate candidates walked from the Student Union Memorial Center with somber feelings.

The election narrowed down the number of Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate candidates from 22 to 20.

Political science freshman Kristen Godfrey and molecular biophysics freshman Jasimine Evans were the only two candidates eliminated from the student government election race, which will conclude with the general elections Mar. 11. The election will appoint the final field of one president, executive vice president and administrative vice president, as well as 10 senators.

Although she was disappointed she would not become an ASUA Senator, Evans said she was proud of those who made the final ballot and is constantly looking forward to her own opportunities.

“”When one door closes, a window opens,”” Evans said. “”I’m happy for everyone who made it, and it’s definitely not a lost experience.””

Evans added that she plans to continue her relationship with ASUA – preferably as a ZonaZoo liaison or a diversity director.

History sophomore Nicholas Jones snuck in as the 20th and final Senate candidate to move on to the General Elections, receiving less than 3 percent of the final vote.

Donning a Burger King crown, Jones touted his five-hour-per-day campaigning and new campaign song for pushing him over the edge to move on to the General Election.

“”I feel really good,”” he said. “”(Next week) is going to be an all-around blitz of PR.””

Jones said he is going to further utilize campaigning in classrooms and reveal a “”huge”” banner on the UA Mall.

Public administration sophomore Eduardo Atjian II was the leading vote-getter among Senate candidates, with just over 7 percent of the final vote.

Pre-communications freshman Sarah Bratt said that although she was relieved to see herself move on in the race, she realized there is much work to be done.

“”I think I felt the actual weight lift off my shoulders,”” she said of her 11th place finish. “”I think it’s good motivation for me to pick it up.””

Just over 2,600 ballots were cast Mar. 3 and 4, a total that doubles last year’s 1,358 votes cast for the primaries. All executive candidates moved ahead to the general elections, including: presidential candidates Shane Cathers and Chris Nagata; sole executive vice presidential candidate Emily Fritze; and lone administrative vice presidential candidate Gabriella Ziccarelli.

ASUA election results by candidate

Senate Candidate Votes Percent
    Eduardo Atjian II 780 7.13%
    Daniel Wallace 699 6.39%
    Stephen Wallace 672 6.14%
    Hillary Davidson 657 6.00%
    Katherine Wiengartner 629 5.75%
    James Brooks 620 5.66%
    Tyler Quillin 582 5.32%
    Jordan Searles 562 5.13%
    Ryan Ruiz 548 5.01%
    Leo Yamaguchi 529 4.83%
    Sarah Bratt 508 4.64%
    Jeremy Davidoff 507 4.63%
    Dominick San Angelo 479 4.38%
    Monique Villalobos 450 4.11%
    Aaron Elyachar 408 3.73%
    Jason Bral 406 3.71%
    Chase Slater 396 3.62%
    Ryan Klenke 395 3.61%
    Eric Hudson 299 2.73%
    Nicholas Jones 293 2.67%
    Jasimine Evans* 271 2.47%
    Kristen Godfrey* 246 2.24%

*eliminated from election race