UA alum continues a lifetime of art

UA alum continues a lifetime of art

Ryan M. Parker, a UA alumnus, loves to create art, but not just any art.

“”I’d say graphic design is my favorite,”” Parker said. “”Graphic design allows a cleanliness and a precision that I enjoy trying to achieve.””

Since his 2005 graduation from the UA, Parker has kept active in the world of art.

“”I’m working as an art director in Scottsdale, and I plan and I write storyboards for motion graphics work, so I’m kind of video-oriented now,”” he said. “”I also do freelance graphic design and illustration when the opportunity rises. A third thing I’m doing is teaching drawing at the Phoenix Art Museum as well.””

Although Parker now works in a digital world, he began much smaller.

“”I started drawing when I was a tiny kid with my dad,”” he said. “”I loved drawing cars.””

From then, Parker was rewarded by his love of art.

“”My art gave me an education at the university, which is nice,”” he said. “”I got a scholarship and I won a few shows in high school and I got some awards in college too.””

Not only did Parker receive tangible benefits, he also gained skills that he could use in the rest of his life.

“”I think I learned not to take myself too seriously,”” he said. “”I think having a sense of humor is one of the most important things about my art and just getting through each day.””

This sense of humor can be seen throughout his work, featuring pieces like “”TTT Truck Stop,”” “”Ingredients for Success”” and a fictional board game called “”Shame. The Game.””

Parker also hosts a Web site, idrawgood.com, for his artwork.