Free burrito event leads

Chipotle reached record sales Friday night as students were treated to free Chipotle burritos as part of Zona Zoo’s Bear Down Fridays.

Students with a Zona Zoo pass were given a free menu item of their choice, including burritos, tacos and burrito bowls. The event took place Friday night between 5 and 9.

With the $20 rise in Zona Zoo pass prices, which have reached $60, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona is trying to give more back to students, with events such as Bear Down Fridays and a road trip to the University of California at Los Angeles.

Holly Garner, general manager of Chipotle, 905 E. University Blvd., said the event went off without disruption, and students were a pleasure to deal with.

“”The kids were very respectful, they thanked us, they tipped us and they appreciated it,”” Garner said. “”It was fun.””

Garner also said that Bear Down Friday marked an all-time high in burrito sales.

“”We sold burritos all day before we started giving them out,”” Garner said. “”We were lined up clear down to Pita Pit for three hours.””

Garner said she was not authorized to release exact figures, but she confirmed it was a record.

Vanessa Teschner, a psychology senior, said she was lucky she had purchased her Zona Zoo pass when she did.

“”I had just bought my Zona Zoo on Friday, and I heard they were giving out free burritos, so my roommate and I got some,”” Teschner said. “”The street was packed – it was awesome.””

Tim Gershon, a pre-business freshman, said he is addicted to Chipotle and that the burrito giveaway was the highlight of his week.

“”I live in Arizona-Sonora (Residence Hall), and I heard about the give-out,”” Gershon said. “”I went and got my typical burrito, which is half chicken, half steak, both medium salsas, lettuce, sour cream and cheese. There were a ton of people there, I even came with 10 people.””