Float building binds greeks

Ernie Somoza / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Members of Theta Tau ride a top their float based on the sci-fi film Back to the Future. Theta Tau takes the win for 12 consecutive year in the 2010 homecoming parade float competition.
Ernie Somoza
Ernie Somoza / Arizona Daily Wildcat Members of Theta Tau ride a top their float based on the sci-fi film “Back to the Future”. Theta Tau takes the win for 12 consecutive year in the 2010 homecoming parade float competition.

Professional engineering fraternity Theta Tau will most likely take home the first prize trophy for the 12th consecutive time for the best Homecoming float this Saturday, students say.

Theta Tau built their unique float based on the “”Back to the Future”” movies as part of this year’s Homecoming theme “”One for the Ages.””

“”It’s kind of hard to compete with them,”” said Steven Spithogiannis, a communication major and member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, “”They’re an engineering fraternity and have really unique designs.””

Like most other UA Greek Life members, Pi Kappa Alpha members were busy with many other Homecoming events and festivities throughout the week but worked on the floats from Oct. 18 up to the day of the parade.

On Wednesday, Pi Kappa Alpha — who worked in collaboration with Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority — was halfway done.

“”We have the main part and framework finished, we just need the decorations,”” Spithogiannis said on Wednesday. “”The most important thing to us is the Homecoming float because it represents who you are as a fraternity, as an organization and how hard of workers you are.””

Spithogiannis worked with Sean Meritt, a psychology senior, to design their float.

They decided to add 10 people to “”hype people up and cheer along with the crowd,”” as they rode on the float during the parade. Five were from Pi Kappa Alpha and five were from Kappa Kappa Gamma.

“”We wanted some of the younger guys to be on there, to get them more involved,”” Spithogiannis said. “”It’s a tradition that passes on, and it’s important to include freshmen in the pledge process because it gets them more involved.””

The most difficult part of the building process for the fraternity was designing the float and actually finding time to get members working on it, Pi Kappa Alpha members said.

“”We’ve been building all day the best that we can,”” said Carsen Kipley, an engineering management freshman and new member of Pi Kappa Alpha who rode on the float.

“”I’m glad to be there, and I’m doing it all for the school spirit. We’re proud to be Arizona Wildcats.””

The float featured paper flowers painted on the side and a wooden replica of Old Main.

Kipley said it was relatively simple for fraternities and sororities to work together on floats.

“”We worked pretty well together (with Kappa Kappa Gamma),”” he said. “”They did the more girly stuff, and we did the wood work and building.””

Pi Kappa Alpha purchased the wood at Home Depot, while Theta Tau got wood donations from local wood distributors. The float was still in construction as they worked hard to perfect every last detail on Saturday, minutes before the parade. Members gathered near the University of Arizona Police Department station at 2:15 p.m., ready to get on board.

“”We just did it all for the Wildcat pride,”” Spithogiannis said. “”It was a lot of fun, we all enjoyed ourselves … and it’s one of the best parts of Homecoming.””