Amazon donates $30k to Diamond Children’s Medical Center

Ashlee Salamon/ Arizona Daily Wildcat
Ashlee Salamon
Ashlee Salamon/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Amazon donated $30,000 to Banner-University Medical Center Tucson’s Diamond Children’s Medical Center at an event the company organized to raise awareness on childhood cancer on Wednesday morning. The event was created to inspire the patients to keep imagining and being innovative, namely in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields, according to Amazon Fulfillment Center site leader Cody Carr.

The event was held in the Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium. Since the goal of the event and donation was to encourage the children to continue with their interest in STEM programs, there was no better place to host the event than in a place surrounded by science, Carr said.

“We hope that today’s experience will help encourage every child to continue imagining themselves as future innovators,” Carr said.

RELATED: Looking at the pieces of the late Don Diamond’s legacy in Tucson

The children and their families could look around the science center with a free planetarium show for all who were interested. They were able to view shark displays and learn about their anatomy.

CEO of Diamond Children’s Medical Center, Sarah Frost, was there to receive the check and expressed gratitude for the donation. “We are so lucky and honored,” Frost said. “Every little bit helps to better the future of these children.”

The hospital plans to use the money on continuing to maintain the quality in staff and treatment for the “kiddos” at Banner Diamond Children’s Hospital, according to Frost.

Amazon Goes Gold is a worldwide effort to bring awareness to childhood cancer through the month of September. The aim is to encourage and inspire children battling cancer as well as families of the patients to broaden their horizons and seek for careers in STEM.

RELATED: Q&A: Who is the man who donated $15 million to the UA?

Larry Ronstadt, a survivor of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia, addressed the significance of Amazon’s work. Being a former patient at the clinic, he said he understands better than anyone that it can get “boring” as a kid just waiting for doctors. However, he expressed his gratitude towards Amazon for helping the wonderful staff and Banner Diamond Children’s Hospital that helped him and his family through this tough time.

He is now three years cancer-free and said he wishes to study engineering at the University of Arizona when the time comes.

Follow Ana Teresa Espinoza on Twitter