Staying distanced yet fit at the UA during the COVID-19 pandemic

The University of Arizona has many resources available to students, including the Student Recreation Center. COVID-19 has sparked precautions at the rec, including limited access and online registration.
Timothy Galaz

The “freshman fifteen” used to be a phrase only associated with students entering their first year. However with new restrictions on gyms and increasing cases of the coronavirus in Arizona, it seems like that phrase can now apply to everyone. Thankfully, places on campus and around town are offering socially distanced and safe activities for students.

Both the North and South recreational centers are allowing a maximum occupancy of 150 students at once across their whole facility. With new standards for cleanliness and safety, they make sure to keep the health of every student their number priority. 

Along with these measures, gym-goers are urged to wipe down equipment after their use and required to wear a face covering. These safety measures coupled together can ensure that everyone can enjoy their workout without worries of becoming sick.  

The south recreational center has also opened outdoor benches, squat racks and machines to socially distanced gym goers as well. A full array of dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells can be found outside to support outdoor workouts while being covered from the sun.

RELATED: Keeping your mental health and wellness during the pandemic and quarantine

If lifting weights isn’t your type of exercise, then there are plenty of other opportunities to take advantage of on campus and around town.

Reservations for pool lanes can also be made by signing into your IMLeagues account. Along with these, the campus recreation is offering socially distanced group fitness activities such as Hatha Yoga, Cardio Dance, Cycling, Meditation and Fusion Pilates through Zoom and in person.

A full list of daily activities can be found here. A full track (located above the basketball court) and rock climbing area are open and ready to use with a limited occupancy. 

Due to coronavirus restrictions, certain parts of the gyms will remain closed indefinitely until next semester such as the basketball courts. Intramural games now consist of Badminton singles, Ping Pong, H-O-R-S-E and even Super Smash Bros according to the Intramural Sports website. 

Tucson also offers a plethora of activities such as Tumamoc Hiking Trail, Painted Hills Trials and the Jack & George Mountain Trail. With winter right around the corner, the Mt. Lemmon ski area plans on reopening as well as snow related activities.

Follow Vivek Aking on Twitter