POLICE BEAT 3/21/2018: Might as well jump

Alex McIntyre
A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by near the Koffler building on the UA campus.

Ups and Downs

Mysterious movement triggered the alarm at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center on March 11, calling several University of Arizona Police Department officers to the scene at approximately 1 a.m.

Upon arrival, the officers set up a perimeter on three sides of the pool structure as one officer approached the gate. The officer positioned near the gate spotted two males jumping on a trampoline with an additional male watching nearby.

When the males realized that officers were present, they fled into the pool structure.

The officers found the men and handcuffed them. The men were read their Miranda rights and subsequently interviewed separately. 

One of the men told an officer that he knew the building was on lock-down, which is why he jumped the fence. He and his friends had simply wanted to hang out. 

He confessed to drinking beer while in the pool area, but refused to reveal where he got it from.

Another one of the men told an officer that he knew he was trespassing. He admitted to buying beer for the other two men, both of whom were under the age of 21.

All three of the men were arrested for second-degree trespassing. Additionally, two of the men were cited for underage drinking. The three men were then released.

A sweep of the area revealed no property damage.

RELATED: POLICE BEAT 03/14/18: The Tale of the Piñata Thief

Quiet Please

A UAPD officer was dispatched to the University of Arizona Main Library to investigate a report of harassment on March 11 at approximately 9:45 p.m.

When the officer arrived, he spoke with a library staff member who informed the officer that a student upset about an issue with his account had been harassing her.

According to the staff member, the student told her that he “doubted she was educated.” During their interaction, he became upset easily, interrupted her and did not give her a chance to actually help him.

The officer found the student. The two agreed to move to a private study room to speak.

The student told the officer he had done nothing wrong. He admitted that he expressed doubts regarding her education level, but that he felt bad for doing so. 

He then told the officer that as a paying student he has the right to call the staff member any name he wished. 

The officer explained to him that this was not acceptable and could result in criminal charges in the form of Disorderly Conduct/Disturbing the Peace.

According to the student, he did not agree with the library’s charging of his account for alleged damage to a laptop. The officer assisted him in finding the email address he could contact to dispute the charge. 

Finding no evidence of criminal charges, the officer referred the student to the Dean of Students Office.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter