Brewer addresses shooting

Gov. Jan Brewer replaced her original State of the State address to reflect Saturday’s shooting.

About 500 people attended the Tuesday luncheon at the Tucson Convention Center. Brewer planned to speak about education, the economy and tax reform but postponed her original speech. She delivered a similarly revised speech in Phoenix during the joint session of the state Legislature on Monday.

“”It’s a plan that I believe in,”” Brewer said. “”But it’s a topic for another day. Today is not a day for politics and policy. Today, I want to talk to you personally. I want to talk about Arizona’s heart, and the state we find it in after such a horrific tragedy Saturday.””

Brewer addressed the feelings of loss in the state after the shooting, but said they can be overcome.

“”I want to speak to you about the Arizona I know,”” Brewer said. “”A place we saw again, even on such an awful Saturday. It is a place of service, a place of heroes, a place of the bruised and battered heart that I know will get past this insidious moment.””

Brewer also spoke about each of the six people who were killed on Saturday and recognized the work of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

“”Gabby is a perfect example of what it means to serve,”” Brewer said. “”A perfect example for her constituents and of this city. I am proud to know her, and I know you are beyond proud to call her your own.””

The community showed its strength Saturday through those who helped on the scene, Brewer said. She specifically recognized UA political science junior Daniel Hernandez Jr., who is one of Giffords’ interns.

“”We paid tribute to Daniel yesterday, and I want to do so again today,”” Brewer said. “”Daniel held Gabby’s hand all the way to the University Medical Center. There, medical teams worked furiously on Gabby and 14 other victims. Their precision and skill absolutely saved their lives. That is the Arizona I know best.””

Brewer finished by saying Arizona will overcome these difficult times. She received a standing ovation at the end of her address.

UA President Robert Shelton said the address was appropriate for the circumstances.

“”(It was) very heartfelt,”” Shelton said. “”You could tell the governor was caught up in genuine emotion.””

Shelton agreed with Brewer’s statement that the community is uniting in the aftermath of Saturday.

“”I think it points out that there are, as tragic as this is, there are strengths that people are drawing on,”” Shelton said. “”And they are drawing on them individually, as families, as neighborhoods, and as Tucson and the state of Arizona.””