This Day in Wildcat History

• On June 21, 1977, the Arizona Summer Wildcat reported that “”liquor sales on campus, an objective of ASUA for at least the past 10 years, is a dead issue.”” The Board of Regents voted down a proposal allowing the sale of alcohol on the state’s three university campuses in the fact of apparent student support for the change. “”Students have been able to keep liquor in dormitories, sororities and fraternities since May 1973,”” the Wildcat reported.
  • On June 21, 1988, the Wildcat called in an editorial for replacing the war on marijuana with a “”war on ignorance,”” to enlighten the masses about the dangers of smoking pot. “”Countless boats and cars have been impounded, and citizens have been taken prisoner thus far,”” the Wildcat declared. “”People don’t like being told what to do. Let them make educated decisions on their own.””
  • The same day, the Wildcat reviewed Michael Jackson’s autobiography “”Moonwalk,”” edited by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, whose introduction to the book apparently consisted entirely of the question “”What can one say about Michael Jackson?”” The Wildcat panned the book, finding it “”filled with often redundant and honestly boring anecdotes which reveal the actual oddness of Jackson.””
  • On June 24, 1971, the Wildcat reported that former student Ernest Olsen, 20, had been subpoenaed to testify before a federal grand jury regarding local anti-war activities and demonstrations. Olsen had previously refused to answer jury questions, claiming that the information being used against him was obtained “”through unlawful electronic surveillance.””
  • – compiled by Justyn Dillingham