Tucson Hop Shop brings together two of life’s greatest gifts with Pups & Pints event

Jesus Barrera
    University of Arizona Vice President for Student Affairs Melissa Vito hangs out with her Australian Shepherd mix “hopper” at Tucson Hop Shop on Sunday.

Sunday’s rain and thunder was far from enough to stop the pups at Tucson Hop Shop’s Pups & Pints event from bobbing for hotdogs and painting masterpieces with their paws.

The charitable event was put on by Tucson Hop Shop and Tucson’s Cause for Canines. The event cost $10 for humans, and $5 for canines. It was the venue’s first event with Tucson’s Cause for Canines and, judging by its success, it won’t be the last.

At the end of the day, $1,300 was collected and donated to Tucson’s Cause for Canines, which according to the organization’s website is “an all-volunteer, foster-based rescue group dedicated to saving the lives of homeless dogs.” The organization regularly holds adoption events at local PetSmarts.

Within the first hour of Pups & Pints, the back patio of the bar was filled with curious pups and smiling faces. Tails wagged out of control as the pups led their owners around to socialize, occasionally taking breaks to dive into a plastic pool filled with water and hotdog bits.

Dogs and owners alike were torn between being outside with the festivities, rain and thunder, or being inside huddled around the bar.

Guillermo Martinez-Ariza, a graduate student studying drug discovery and development, was there with his pup trying to stay dry. Martinez-Ariza said that he’s had a lot of fun socializing with bar dogs and appreciates that the proceeds were going to a good cause. Ariza and his puppy plan to return for future events.

Midway through the event, a musical chairs contest took place. The prize for the victor: a stuffed, chewable teddy bear. The crowned champion was Koda, a determined Chesapeake Bay retriever. Koda was there with her family: Ashley Clark, Clark’s husband and 6-month-old daughter.

The Hop Shop sits in the center of the Metal Arts Village, a collection of rustic art studios with a focus on metal sculpting. Al Glann, metal sculptor and self proclaimed “old guy,” said the community has always been dog friendly and before the Tucson Hop Shop moved in, the building was a dog-friendly coffee shop.

For those not with their dog, but wishing to unwind in a puppy-infested establishment, The Hop Shop offered a wide variety of craft beer — both bottled and draft. Additionally, customers were welcome to walk around the village and check out the art exhibits.

While this event was Tucson Hop Shop’s first with Tucson’s Cause for Canines, the craft beer bottle shop and beer garden regularly holds events in its pet-friendly establishment. These events range from mountain bike clubs, to Sip & Sketch, where people can come from noon to 8 p.m. on the first Sunday of every month to relax and draw with like-minded, pet-loving folks.

Whether you are in it for the puppies, the pints or the sense of community these canines bring about, keep an eye out for the next Pups & Pints event at Tucson Hop Shop.

Follow Jonathan Terry on Twitter