BREAKING: Man reportedly uses racial slurs against UA student at library

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

A man allegedly verbally harassed and physically intimidated a University of Arizona student in the Main Library Thursday, according to an email sent out to students and staff by Dean of Students Kendal Washington White. The man used racial slurs against the student, who is black, during his tirade. He has since been arrested and charged with four misdemeanors. 

The man, identified as Tyler Brooks, is not affiliated to the UA in any way, according to University of Arizona Police Department public information officer Jesus Aguilar. 

Brooks allegedly caused a disturbance in the library, which prompted staff members to direct him out. While being escorted out, a UA student asked him to be quiet, as people were trying to study for finals. Brooks approached the student “aggressively” and slammed his hands on the table. According to Aguilar, the student punched Brooks before moving away.

During this confrontation, Brooks, who is white, reportedly used racial slurs against the student. The student was not physically harmed during the incident, according to police.

Officers were alerted to the situation at around 5:46 p.m. Upon arrival, law enforcement took Brooks to Banner — University Medical Center for a medical evaluation.

RELATED: Report for racially-charged assault released with alleged assailants’ names

Once Brooks was cleared, officers charged him with three counts of disorderly conduct and one count of interference with an educational institution, all misdemeanors. Brooks was booked into Pima County Jail. Officers also issued an 12-month exclusionary order against Brooks, meaning he is not allowed on any UA properties.

The involved student did not wish to press charges, according to Aguilar.

In an email sent out to UA students and staff, Washington White said that incidents like this go against the values of the university.

“I want to reinforce earlier messages from President [Dr. Robert] Robbins that any conduct contrary to our values of inclusion and compassion simply will not be tolerated on our campus and it is all of our responsibility to mirror these values in our everyday lives,” Washington White said in the email.

In the email, Washington White also urged students who know anything about the incident to report what they know and that anyone who feels disturbed by what happened can reach out to UA Counseling and Psych Services, student resource centers or the Dean of Students Office.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter