Beyonce explores uncharted territory with visual album ‘Lemonade’

Parkwood
    Album artwork for Beyoncé’s latest album Lemonade released on April 23.

The long anticipated short-film and visual album, Lemonade is finally here. And it comes with a lot of baggage. Despite the amazing production from Jack White, Diplo, Ezra Koeing and guest appearances by Kendrick Lamar and The Weekend, Lemonade attracted more publicity with its personal nature. Beyoncé has always been one to keep her personal life out of the media, with the noted exceptions of a few creative Instagram photos of Blue Ivy.

The past few years for Beyoncé have been stellar with her a sold out world tour in tandem with hubby Jay Z and now this visual album that took everyone by surprise, Beyoncé is a human being who has ups and downs in life just like the rest of us.

Her sister, Solange, is a wonderful artist who has a powerful voice just like her sister. However, she is most famous for stealing the limelight in 2014 for recorded video of her hitting Jay Z in an elevator. Speculation across media arose, mostly surrounding the simple question: why? Many theories were floated, and among the most popular was the rumor Jay Z cheated on Beyoncé, and thus her sister took it into her own hands—literally— to defend Queen B.

With Lemonade, we learn that this was true all along. Who would cheat on Beyoncé? Lemonade is dedicated to that dark part of Yonce’s life.

In the first half of the album, Beyoncé makes listeners think that she is leaving Jay and that Lemonade is a suave divorce announcement. Eventually, we suddenly realize that is not the message Beyoncé intends. She mocks Jay Z’s side chicks, and the ever-so-famous “Becky with the good hair,” which fans have long since been trying to track down.

“Don’t Hurt Yourself feat. Jack White” is one of the songs that gives a direct message that Jay Z did this to Bey: “This is your final warning, you know I give you life. If you try this shit again, you gon’ lose your wife.” Despite this song being completely different than a normal Beyoncé song, with heavy use of crazy guitar and alternative sounds, its powerful message shines through. Don’t mess with Bey, she isn’t your average chick.

Only Beyoncé could have delivered and this message in such a powerful way without awkwardness or cheesiness. She is giving her side of the story in her very special way by answering all questions the Beyhive might have had while still dissing the media and tabloids one track at a time.

All in all, the conclusion is an age old truth that Beyoncé is incredible. She delivers the difficult subject at the heart of Lemonade with grace and while taking pride in her vulnerability.

Lemonade is available to stream exclusively on Tidal but available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon.

Follow Mariel Bustamante on Twitter