Police Beat

A male student was caught stealing a 12-ounce can of Dr. Pepper from the Cactus Grill restaurant in the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., Aug. 29.

A Cactus Grill supervisor caught the student and detained him in the back of the restaurant. The student said he got the soda out of the refrigerator, drank half and poured the rest into a paper cup. He said he filled the other half of the cup with soda from the fountain, which he paid for. The soda was valued at $1.05 after taxes.

The supervisor wished to press charges, and police cited the student for shoplifting and escorted him from the store.

Police responded to a report about a vehicle being keyed at the Sixth Street Garage, 1201 E. Sixth St., on Aug. 27.

A blue Mazda had been left unattended since Aug. 24, and when the owner arrived, there was a long scratch mark running from the driver-side door to the rear of the car.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

An officer on patrol at Sky View Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St., noticed a man doing circles on a bike in the intersection of East Eighth Street and North Fremont Avenue on Aug. 27.

The police officer followed the subject to the southeast entrance of the complex and confronted him. The man told the officer that he was looking for cigarette butts.

The man was arrested on four outstanding warrants and transported to Pima County Jail.

A police officer found a man sleeping on a bench in the breezeway of the SALT Center, 1010 N. Highland Ave., on Aug. 29.

Upon awakening, the man said he had been drinking. The police officer found a half-full pint of vodka stored in the man’s hat.

The man was arrested for two outstanding warrants and transported to Pima County Jail.

An officer noticed a woman yelling loudly at a man sitting on a bench with a 40-ounce bottle of beer on the ground between his legs at 501 N. Park Ave., at 12:43 a.m. Aug. 30.

When the officer asked what she was yelling about, the woman responded that she was trying to stop the man from drinking the beer.

The police officer arrested the woman on an outstanding warrant. The man was allowed to leave without any charges.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.