THE TV NUT

‘The Life and Times of Tim’ funny, crude

HBO will kick off the second season of “”The Life and Times of Tim,”” an animated comedy stocked sky high with dry, deadpan humor and simple graphics, on Friday. Each half-hour episode consists of two 15-minute segments. In the season premiere, the first segment, “”Tim’s Beard,”” finds Tim battling unexpected workplace consequences after growing a post-breakup beard. In the second segment, “”Unjustly Neglected Drama,”” Tim has to sit through the world’s most awful play in order to help his friend Stu score some pot.

I was surprised to hear that this show existed, let alone in its second season. But overall, the show has a lot of great humor, which is enhanced by what I like to refer to as “”charmingly simple”” animation. By that, I mean it looks like the producers may have found the doodles from my third grade homework assignments and made them into a television show. But that’s what I like about it. I like watching an animation and thinking, “”I could draw that.”” And the simplicity of the animation lends itself to the dialogue-based humor on which the show thrives.

But I can also see why this show hasn’t picked up much popularity. I can’t seem to figure out why this show is on HBO. When I watch HBO, I want to see something that I can’t see on network television. “”South Park”” is a great example. I’d be curious to see what a show like “”South Park”” would do with that kind of freedom from censorship. Another problem with “”The Life and Times of Tim”” is that it takes deadpan to an extreme level. Every character may as well be voiced by the same person. The tone and speed in which each character speaks is exactly the same, making it difficult to stay attentive at times. In many ways, the show’s positives are also its negatives, depending on your perspective.

So I recommend you tune into the season premiere of “”The Life and Times of Tim”” just to give it a go. If you hate the first 15 minutes, the show’s not for you. If you love the first 15 minutes, you’ll be delightfully surprised by what will someday be a cult classic.

“”The Life and Times of Tim”” airs on HBO, Feb. 19, 10:30 p.m. after the series premiere of the new animated series, “”The Ricky Gervais Show.””

I hate this Olympics hiatus!

I don’t get the Winter Olympics. It’s 74 degrees in Tucson right now. I’m not about to watch a bunch of aerodynamic athletes slide down hills of ice and snow. It’s just not for me.

It seems, though, that I can’t get away. Many shows have been put on hiatus due to the Olympics, and now the only other viewing options are “”Keeping Up With the Kardashians”” and re-runs of “”Full House.”” If you’re a television obsessive like me, you’re also feeling the pain. But have no fear, the TV Nut is here. I’ve compiled a list of must-see shows that are either online or in stores that will be sure to quench your thirst during the next month.

Oldies but goodies

Arrested Development — If you didn’t watch this show when it aired on Fox, you are not alone. In fact, that’s the reason it was cancelled. No one watched it. But much like Vincent van Gogh, the show’s popularity skyrocketed after its death. Damn you, Fox, for cancelling this gem, but thank you for putting the entire series on hulu.com, as well as on DVD.

Pushing Daisies – Another show that experienced an early demise, “”Pushing Daisies”” was an innovative and visually beautiful series about Ned, who had the ability to bring the dead back to life with the touch of a finger, but a second touch reverses the spell. When Ned brings his childhood love back to life, they fall hard for one another. The catch is he can never touch her again or she’ll die. The show was not given enough time to end properly before its cancellation, but it’s still a must see for anyone who appreciates good storytelling. The series is available on DVD.

Much-anticipated returns

Glee (Fox) – When I first saw the promos for “”Glee”” a year ago, I thought what the majority of you are probably thinking, “”Oh great. ‘High School Musical’ broken up into weekly one-hour segments. Boo.”” But, during a day of extreme homework procrastination, I watched the first episode online. Then, I watched the second episode. Then the third. Several hours and two incomplete essays later, I was caught up with the series. The show doesn’t even have a hint of Zac Efron. It is ridiculous and politically incorrect. It contains at least one incredibly offensive comment in each episode. I love it. The show returns April 13. The first half of the first season is available on DVD, and a few episodes are available on hulu.com.

True Blood (HBO) – Don’t judge the vampires. If you’ve seen the first episode of “”True Blood”” and hated it, keep reading. This is the kind of show that takes a few episodes to find its legs. If you watched and thought the show was stupid, you’re correct. It is stupid. But that’s all right because it’s aware of its own stupidity. The show is ridiculously melodramatic and, ahem, erotic, but that’s the fun of it. Give “”True Blood”” another chance before its third season begins in June. The first two seasons are available on DVD.

Are there other TV shows you would rather watch than the Olympics? Leave a comment on www.dailywildcat.com/wildlife, or e-mail arts@wildcat.arizona.edu with suggestions.