Sports Briefs

Olson divorce case back in court after reconciliation effort fails

An attempt at fixing the broken marriage of Arizona basketball coach Lute Olson and his wife Christine Olson has failed and the case was sent back to divorce court, according to documents filed in Pima County Superior Court.

Under rules of the Court of Conciliation, one counseling session was required, said Kathleen A. McCarthy, Christine Olson’s attorney. At the end of that session, the court made a determination it had completed that phase of the proceedings and sent the case back to divorce court. That session was Jan. 22, according to the Court of Conciliation record of the event.

In Arizona, one spouse cannot contest the ability of a divorce to move forward, McCarthy said, but Christine Olson is sticking to her claim that her marriage is not irretrievably broken, as stated in her husband’s divorce petition. “”That is her prerogative,”” McCarthy said, but the divorce cannot be held up on that.

“”Divorces can be delayed when one party contests the division of property or debt,”” McCarthy said.

McCarthy would not say if that’s the case in the divorce suit and she estimated it would take six months to a year before a divorce could be finalized.

Leonard Karp, Lute Olson’s attorney, confirmed Monday that the case was returned to divorce court, but said he could not comment further because it was a pending case.

Lute Olson filed for divorce Dec. 6, the same day the Hall-of-Fame coach announced he would not lead the Wildcats this season. He cited personal reasons unrelated to his health for his leave and said he planned to return next year.

Olson has been on a leave of absence since Nov. 4.

– The Associated Press

Volleyball assistant coach resigns

Arizona volleyball assistant coach Chris Gonzalez has resigned from his position with the team, as he announced in a statement last week.

A 2005 graduate of Iowa, Gonzalez will pursue a law degree at the UA and will continue to train the team at head coach Dave Rubio’s request until his position is filled, Gonzalez said in the statement.

“”Although this was a difficult decision, it will allow me the opportunity to earn a law degree and continue to direct my volleyball club, Volleyball Club Dinamo,”” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez began his coaching career in 1995 in Long Beach, Calif., as the head coach and court trainer for the 18- and 16-and-under Cal Juniors Volleyball Club programs. He then spent five years coaching at Cal State-Long Beach, two years with the U.S. women’s National A2 team and even had a stint coaching in Switzerland.

Gonzalez is the second assistant coach to leave the team in the past two years. Former Wildcat Dana Burkholder resigned after a year as an assistant following the 2006 season and Rubio brought in former Wildcat Allison Napier before last season to fill the void.

The Wildcats finished 13-17 and 14-17 in the last two seasons, respectively, ending each year with a 4-14 Pacific 10 Conference record.

Gonzalez said that he will continue to follow the Arizona team.

“”I believe now that the composition of the team is such that it will allow them to be serious Final Four and national championship contenders.””

– Lance Madden