Calendar

Moolade follows Colle Gallo Ardo Sy (played by Fatoumata Coulibaly), center, as she takes in a group of girls that are facing female circumcision. The film is showing in Room 120 in the ILC tonight at 7 p.m.
    ‘Moolade’ follows Colle Gallo Ardo Sy (played by Fatoumata Coulibaly), center, as she takes in a group of girls that are facing female circumcision. The film is showing in Room 120 in the ILC tonight at 7 p.m.

Today

• “”Moolade”” – The French and Italian department brings you the latest installment of their ongoing French and Francophone Film Festival, where they screen movies in French and Italian. “”Moolade”” was directed by Ousmane Sembene and is about female circumcision in Africa. Four 9-year-old girls are scheduled to be circumcised, the male equivalent of castration, and two drown themselves in a well to escape their fate. The other two seek the magical protection, “”Moolade,”” to help them. 7 p.m. Free. Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, Room 120
  • Sleepytime Gorilla Museum – These guys are avant-garde entertainers and musicians whose performances have included what they call “”hyperventilating self-derangement”” and “”performers of varying stiffness.”” Their music is experimental and dark, but they execute it with a sense of humor that takes off the edge. Performing with The Secret Chiefs 3, which features Trey Spruance of Mr. Bungle. 9 p.m. $15. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.
  • Tomorrow

• Fourth Avenue street fair – This marks the first day of Fourth Avenue’s biggest event of the year! Tents will be set up all down Fourth Avenue, and you can buy anything and everything from handmade jewelry to deep-fried Oreos. If you’ve never been, then you need to see what Tucson’s artists have to offer, and if you have been, then you’re surely going again because you know how awesome it is. 10 a.m. to dusk. Free. Fourth Avenue

Saturday

• A Cinematic Celebration of Anna Nicole Smith – The Midnight Movie Massacre film series at the The Loft Cinema presents “”Skyscraper,”” a low-budget action film from 1997 in which Smith plays a professional helicopter pilot who has to save hostages who are trapped in a high-rise building by terrorists. And, oh yeah, Smith’s character is really hygienic and takes a lot of showers. Midnight. $5. Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.
  • “”Welcome Back Buzzards”” day- This is the time of year when turkey vultures migrate back to Arizona after spending the winter months in Mexico, and that’s why it’s “”Welcome Back Buzzards”” day (and they don’t mean old folks). You can see butterflies, living animal displays (that means you can pet them) and other things for animal lovers who want to have a cute little day-trip. 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Students free with UA ID. 37615 U.S. Highway 60, Superior, Ariz.
  • Sunday

• Whoopi Goldberg’s “”Alice”” – In an urban rendition of “”Alice in Wonderland,”” this play features Alice, a smart and sassy teen who wins a sweepstakes in the mail and takes along her two best friends, a white rabbit and a card-playing misfit, to claim the prize. The villain is a snooty uptown queen who wants to send Alice to a mad tea party. Anything with skyscrapers that get bigger and smaller is my cup of tea. 2 p.m. $10 to $15. Centennial Hall
  • Family Fun Day – The Graduate and Professional Student Council is hosting this day for campus parents. There will be a jumping castle, free food, painting and other fun activities that will keep your kids out of your hair for a few hours. 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Free. Himmel Park, 1000 N. Tucson Blvd., the northeast corner
  • Monday

• “”The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil”” – This film tells the true story of how communities can achieve more together. In response to the loss of access to Soviet oil, the Cuban people were able to mobilize to convert to organic farming and urban gardening. 7 p.m. Free. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S202

Tuesday

• “”Imitation of Life”” – The Africana Studies film series presents this movie set in 1947, where a down-on-her-luck actress and her young daughter meet a colored woman, Annie, and her daughter. The two single-parent families live together, with Annie being the actress’ maid. Their lives are forever changed through their friendship and their dealings with their daughters. The themes of this film seem
      pertinent considering the black party that was held by UA students not long ago. 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Free. ILC, Room 141

Wednesday

• Asylum Street Spankers – The Asylum Street Spankers are certainly unique in what they do. They play all acoustic songs and perform with the intention of reviving country-blues music. They’re like a modern-day “”Mighty Wind”” band, minus the odd accents. 9:30 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at the door. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)
  • Switchfoot – Switchfoot is on tour to promote their new album called Oh! Gravity because apparently they just realized that it’s the law. With Copeland, who should be the headliners of this tour because their lullaby-rock can soothe even the feistiest of teenage hearts. 7 p.m. doors open. $20 advance, $21 at the door. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.
  • – compiled by Alexandria Kassman