Police beat: June 9

Smudged mascara, suspended license

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers made a traffic stop on the corner of Euclid Avenue and Sixth Street on Thursday to check for possible signs of impairment in the driver.

The driver stumbled out, using the door as support, and began slurring her speech and carrying on a convoluted conversation with one of the officers. The officer noted the driver had watery, bloodshot eyes behind heaps of smudged mascara, and smelled a slight scent of intoxicants on her breath.

The officer conducted field sobriety tests after noticing a large bloody scrape on the driver’s right knee. She had no recollection of its origins.

At 11:24 p.m., the driver was placed under arrest for a simple DUI. However, two Breathalyzer tests administered at UAPD ranked her blood levels escalating from .180 at 11:48 p.m. to .197 by 11:54 p.m.

Charged additionally with extreme DUI and civil traffic violations, the driver’s license was suspended, and she was cited and released from the UAPD station to a taxi service and received a ride home.

Three-block chase leads to overnight stay in Pima County Jail

A two-man UAPD patrol was nearly struck in the middle of the intersection of Sixth Street and Stone Avenue, giving chase for three blocks to a car emitting a strong scent of marijuana on Friday at 11:40 p.m.

After stopping the car at Alameda Street, the two officers spoke to the driver and passenger in the vehicle, noting a strong smell of alcohol and marijuana inside.

After cuffing the two men, four UAPD officers checked the three-block chase route to ensure no paraphernalia was disposed of during pursuit. They then resumed questioning the two men in the car. The driver swayed nearly half a foot while speaking with officers, admitted to consuming five or six beers but denied smoking marijuana that day. 

Both men were arrested at 12:08 a.m. The driver was charged with a DUI. Breathalyzer tests revealed blood alcohol levels .251 at 12:27 a.m. and .250 at 12:33 a.m. The passenger was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia.

The driver’s Arizona license was suspended but his California license was not confiscated.

Both men were then booked into Pima County Jail and their car was impounded for 30 days.

Marijuana and boating don’t mix

A 31-year-old man was cited on Saturday for possession of illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia, as well as a traffic violation. The man was stopped around 6 p.m. at the intersection of Kino Parkway and 15th Street by a UAPD officer for having a kayak in the back of his truck that extended past the four-foot limit without a red flag attached.

The officer noticed the smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle as he was talking to the man. The officer’s search of the vehicle revealed marijuana as well as a three-inch smoking pipe.

The man was cited and released at the scene.

Man can’t find bathroom so he

uses hotel sign

A UAPD officer was helping a stalled motorist move a vehicle into the Sheraton Hotel parking lot on the corner of Speedway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue on Sunday at 5:55 p.m. when he noticed a man urinating on the hotel’s sign.

After assisting the motorist, the officer approached the man and asked him why he had urinated on the sign.

The man said he had just gotten off a bus and asked the officer if he should “”piss his pants”” instead of using the sign.

The man did not clean up his urine and was cited for criminal littering.