Mail Bag

Rock throwing has no place in rivalry

I was born and raised a Wildcat. I proudly graduated in 1993 from the College of Arts and Sciences. I have always cheered for the ‘Cats through thick and thin, and have always had pride in our behavior toward other schools. But I am appalled at the behavior of some UA students.

My husband went to a campus bookstore to purchase me a shirt that I wanted. He was yelled at and pelted with rocks. Why? Because he was wearing the “”wrong”” shirt … an ASU shirt. This behavior is unacceptable. This is not how you cheer for your team. This is assault.

The ironic thing is that he had gone to campus to purchase UA apparel for me. What is even more ironic is that he always supports UA athletics. Yes, there is a heated rivalry between the two schools, but when it gets to the point that our students are assaulting others over clothing choices, the rivalry has gone too far. Let’s continue to cheer for Arizona with pride and class. That means keeping the rock-throwing out of it.

Laurie Wilson
    UA alumna

Feminism about respect and equality

On behalf of all women, I would like to say thank you to Sarah Devlin for putting into words (and very eloquently, might I add) an accurate definition of feminism (“”Surprise! Feminism isn’t dead!”” Monday). It causes me endless frustration that society has labeled all feminists as lesbians or bitter man-haters.

I for one am VERY interested in men, but I am not interested in being treated as a lesser human being because of those lingering, antiquated notions about what a woman’s role should be. I don’t refuse to walk through a door that a man has opened for me and I don’t deny that I really enjoy cooking and other domestic activities – but I am also a feminist. Why? Because I believe in mutual respect. I believe in equality. And I believe that the game is more satisfying when the playing field is level.

Emily King
    English junior

Immigration a public health issue, too

I want to thank you for your exceptionally well-balanced and thoughtful editorial “”Death in the Desert”” (Sept. 18). You hit the nail on the head. Those people walking out in the desert are paying with their lives for failed immigration and economic policies and politics.

Here in the College of Public Health, the Global Health Alliance, a student organization, is promoting the adoption of the following policy statement by our college: “”The Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health is in a unique leadership position to address this public health issue, not only because our focus and commitment to diverse populations but our history of service and academics in the Southwest, where these deaths occur. Therefore MEZCOPH adopts the position that deaths at the border are unacceptable and preventable.””

We are seeking the support of students, staff, appointed personnel, faculty and the executive council of the college to express our collective aim to put an end to this dehumanizing situation. We count on you to keep the university community informed about this process in the future.

Rene Cordova
    public health graduate student