Arizona volleyball dominates the WIldcat classic, improves to 3-3 on the season

Jesus Barrera
Arizona outside hitter Kalei Mau spikes the ball against Pepperdine on Saturday, Sept. 3. The Wildcats won 3-0.

Arizona women’s volleyball team continued their winning streak tonight with a straight set victory over Pepperdine closing out the Wildcat Classic. The Wildcats took the match with scores 25-14, 25-12, and 25-17 Saturday night in McKale Center.

Arizona only needed nine sets to defeat its three opponents Alabama State, SMU and Pepperdine and succeeded in winning all nine taking their record to 3-3.

The Wildcats showed they were ready for the match as they came out strong in the first set blocking anything coming in their direction. Pepperdine did not have a good start as the Waves totaled 11 errors during the first set.

Four blocks were made by the Wildcats during the first set causing Pepperdine to have a -.065 hitting percentage. The Waves tried to gain back the points, but were unsuccessful as the Wildcats won the set 25-14.

The second set was not much different than the first. The Wildcats took the advantage right away as setting the score 10-2.

Senior, Penina Snuka had a double-double with 10 digs and 11 assist half way through the second set. That didn’t stop her as she went on to record two more digs helping the Cats take the victory of 25-12 and a 2-0 lead. The Wildcats held the Waves at a negative hitting percentage due to 22 digs and five blocks.

As the Cats made their way into the third set they didn’t come out as strong as they previously had in the first two sets, but quickly turned around the score to 12-8 after back-to-back kills by Kendra Dahlke and Kalei Mau.

The Arizona Wildcats took the win of 25-17 in the third set dominating over the Pepperdine Waves. They finished with 11 blocks and 53 digs in the three sets.

Dahlke was named the Wildcat Classic MPV as she led the Wildcats with 12 kills and five blocks during the match.

Catch the Arizona women’s volleyball team’s next home match against Arizona State Wednesday, Sept. 21. The match is a Red Out so be sure to break out your red UA gear

Follow Syrena Tracy on Twitter.