Hats off!

Some wear hats to show off a trend, some wear them to cover up a bad hair day and some sport a cap because their hair is a mess. Whatever the reason, hats are in season. From utility-friendly to utterly chic, these students let us in on their hat-choosing techniques.

Photos by Jacob Rader

Political science sophomore Brittni Storrs wore her hat because she didn’t get the chance to wash her hair that morning.

“”It’s a good cover-up,”” Storrs said.

Storrs said she would wear any hat as long as it looked cute with an outfit.

“”(I like) something comfortable that I can wear all day,”” Storrs said.

Storrs described her personal style as comfortable and clean, and describes her shopping techniques with these words: “”Whatever looks good on the rack.””

“”My hair looks bad,”” said history senior Karl Goranowski when asked why he chose to wear his cap.

When Goranowski goes hat shopping he only looks for two important characteristics.

“”A hat that fits and a hat that doesn’t clash with my outfits,”” Goranowski said.

His hat is made by Columbus, a company that makes tubing for bicycles. Goranowski said that when he wears his hat, it shows that he is an avid cyclist.

Although he said he washes his hair everyday with Garnier Fructis products, Goranowski said that his “”hat hair looks better than my actual hair.””

Goranowski named American Apparel advertisements, people who build houses, lumberjacks and army surplus stores as his sources of fashion inspiration.

Journalism sophomore Nicholas Gonzalez likes to keep his fashion choices a secret and would not say how much his hat cost or who designed it – only that it was “”pretty expensive.””

“”I’m weird about my hats,”” Gonzalez said.

When Gonzalez searches for his hats, he looks at how they fit and also the fabric and the texture.

“”It all depends on how I’m feeling that day and what I’m wearing,”” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez described his personal style as ’90s skater and said “”the Gonz”” is one of his fashion icons.