Mail/Blog

Mail:

Shame on Sun Devil Security

The conduct of the security personnel at Wells Fargo Arena during the UA-ASU game was preposterous.

I decided that a cowbell would be something new to root for Arizona, and since it wouldn’t harm anyone, it would be allowed. I was even welcomed at the gate by one of their security guards, who complimented my enthusiasm.

As I rang it about 17 minutes into the first half, I was told that I could no longer have it. I complied and asked politely where I could pick it up after the game.

I was told the box office and then told the scorer’s table. When I went down there after the game, not one person could tell me where it had gone to, and I was told that it was my problem to look for it.

I went to find the security guard who took it and asked if he could tell me where he placed it. I was greeted with a shrug and then a threat to fight. Long story short, he threw the cowbell in the trash can by the box office.

On top of that, a UA fan wandered into the ASU student section (granted, not the smartest of moves) but was proceeded to be shoved by the ASU security, to the point where he fell on the stairs. Paramedics were called in and the kid should be OK.

Nevertheless, the partial guards that were there to serve and protect the fans as a whole, and not only the ones who were wearing maroon and gold, were an embarrassment to Arizona State.

The whole operation at Wells Fargo Arena needs to be an impartial party welcoming to both teams and the security of personal belongings held until picked up by the owner.

Until next year, Bear Down, Arizona, as we take the higher road.

– David S. Salas
    Political science junior

Blog:

Bayless, St. Mary’s in state semis

Winning an Arizona state championship is almost like a rite of passage for the very top Arizona high school stars as seniors who move on to the UA program and eventually the NBA.

Like Mike Bibby, Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye before him, Arizona signee Jerryd Bayless is now two games away from winning an Arizona state title after his No. 5 St. Mary’s Knights upset No. 4 Mesa Dobson 71-69 Saturday night behind 32 points from Bayless.

“”We’re playing our best basketball of the season,”” Bayless said after the win. “”If we continue to play like this we have a good shot at taking it.””

Now his attempts at cementing his state legacy with a championship moves on with a rematch against No. 1 Desert Vista Thursday at 8:30 p.m. at Jobbing.com Arena in the state semifinals. Desert Vista beat the Knights 89-85 Dec. 8.

“”Right now everyone’s stepping up, and they’re making shots,”” Bayless said, “”so if we keep on doing that we’ll be there in the end.””

Fans turned away from Bayless game

If you wanted to see Bayless Saturday, you better have shown up early.

About 500 fans were turned away after the Dobson gym reached its 2,000-seat capacity shown on a sign outside the gym.

“”It’s probably the best high school game I’ve seen in the state, if you want the truth: a great high school game,”” said UA associate head coach Jim Rosborough, who was in attendance while the rest of the coaching staff watched other recruiting targets. “”The thing I liked with Arizona basketball, it was a full house, absolutely jam-packed.””

The group outside included Bayless’ AAU coach, Anthony Ray, who managed to get inside after halftime.

Former Phoenix Suns guard Dan Majerle, who said he showed up to see Bayless, was originally among the crowd at tipoff but was soon let in.

“”Every game’s like that for us,”” Bayless said.

“”Everybody’s coming out to watch us play.””

– Michael Schwartz