Arizona Hockey names Chad Berman as head coach

Briana Sanchez
Briana Sanchez / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA hockey goes against Oakland on Saturday November 10, 2012 at Tucson Convention Center with a final score of 4 to 3.

The University of Arizona Campus Recreation Department announced on Wednesday that it has selected Chad Berman to be head coach of Wildcat hockey.

Berman was assistant head coach at Robert Morris, Illinois gold for that last eight years.

“It’s the right time to change the culture of Wildcat hockey,” Berman said in a press release. “We want to be an ultra-competitive hockey team that plays a fast brand of hockey with a relentless work ethic.”

Berman replaces Sean Hogan, who said he left to coach at Ohio University to be closer to his family. Hogan went 45-66-2 in three seasons as the Wildcats’ head coach but led Arizona to its first national tournament appearance since 2006 and its first win over ASU in 37 games.

“I feel this program is right on the cusp of greatness,” Berman said. “In order to achieve that goal, our team must be disciplined and committed to improving everyday.”

Robert Morris ended the season ranked No. 2 after losing to ASU in the ACHA Division I finals, the highest ranking and finish in RMU history.

At Robert Morris, Berman coached defensemen and was in charge or player development and recruiting. The Eagles improved their national finish every year from No. 12 in 2011 to second in 2014.

Berman played forward at NCAA Division III SUNY-Fredonia.

Berman is Arizona’s third head coach, after Hogan and Leo Golembieski, who led what was then known as the Icecats from 1979 to 2011.

—Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520