Track and field set for rivalry Duel in the Desert with ASU

Jordan Glenn

Arizona track and field coach Fred Harvey claps during Arizona’s third-place finish in the Jim Click Shootout at Roy P. Drachman Stadium on April 11. Harvey and the Wildcats head to Tempe for a Duel in the Desert matchup with ASU.

Before the Arizona track and field team heads into postseason play, the Wildcats will head to ASU to compete against their rivals in the Duel in the Desert.

Arizona track and field coach Fred Harvey said the two squads are evenly matched.

Harvey added that he thinks the ASU girls may have a slight edge over the UA girls, but feels the UA men have the edge over the ASU men. Regardless of Harvey’s opinions, the meet will be an opportunity to get a look at what his team is capable of doing before heading into the Pac-12 Championships.

Harvey said the Duel in the Desert will most likely be decided by a few events that he believes can swing in either side’s favor. In particular, he said the women’s relay events and long jump will be crucial to win the meet.

Harvey said he thinks his girls have the edge in the long jump competition, but that neither side has a clear-cut advantage in any event.

“Anything can happen in a rivalry,” Harvey said.

Gia Trevisan will be competing in the 400-meter dash and the 4×400 meter relay, teaming up with Tatum Waggoner, Lizzie Smith and Nnenya Hailey. The Arizona women have not beat the ASU 4×400 team this season, but this is the first time this tandem will be running together.

Trevisan said it will be an exciting race and that her mindset will be different because the Wildcats are facing their rival.

“It’s a race where you have more emotion,” Trevisan said. “You really want to beat them. If you believe you can do something, you will.”

Trevisan also said it is important to focus on what you can do individually but to not overthink it. She said her team must remember there is one goal at the end of the day: beating ASU.

“It’s important to see the big picture in beating them,” Trevisan said.

Harvey said an important factor in determining the outcome of the meet is how ASU will use Shelby Houlihan. He said she is their fastest runner, and the amount of events and what events she competes in can affect the outcome of the race.

The Wildcats have had a rather light training week going into the Duel in the Desert, as Harvey has kept his squad focusing more on the mental aspect of the meet.

Having the meet the weekend before championship season begins will get the Wildcats ready and focused for the weeks to come. Harvey said he expects the athletes to be at their best.

“There’s nothing better than getting geared for a rivalry,” Harvey said. “Whoever comes out to perform that day is going to win the competition.”

_______________

Follow Brandon James on Twitter.