Wildcat Road Trip: New York

Wildcat Road Trip: New York

This summer my family decided to take their yearly vacation in my father’s hometown of New York City. The city that never sleeps, the city that is not cheap – I warn you right now that New York is not exactly a poor man’s vacation. If you are not poor, there is no place like it.

Some of the best aspects of visiting New York are all the great museums. My first night, I went to the Museum of Modern Art, 11 W. 53rd St., which turned out to be by far the highlight of the trip.

MOMA offers the opportunity to view some of art’s greatest masterpieces, featuring the likes of Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso, Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh, Mark Rothko, Ellsworth Kelly, Salvador Dali and dozens of other masters. Among the highlights of my visit was being able to view Andy Warhol’s “”Campbell’s Soup Cans”” and Vincent van Gogh’s “”Starry Night.””

Another great museum I attended was the Whitney Museum of American Art, 945 Madison Avenue. The Whitney was featuring “”Summer of Love: Art of the Psychedelic Era,”” an exhibition of art, music and film from the 1960s and early 1970s. With all the bright colors and an ambience that transports you back in time, it’s something not to be missed.

Also featured at the Whitney was the art of Rudolf Stingel. Stingel utilizes different materials such as Styrofoam and painted aluminum to transport the viewer into another world. His art surrounds you and makes you feel like your a part of it. It’s like being in “”2001: A Space Odyssey.””

A definite plus of New York City is the food. From dim sum for breakfast in Chinatown to a hot dog in Times Square, the Big Apple is a great place to get fat.

One of the highlights of my food adventure was the first night there. We went to Sammy’s Famous Romanian Restaurant, 157 Chrystie Street, possibly one of the most unique experiences in my trip and certainly the most delicious. With a fun atmosphere and huge portions, it’s an experience not to be missed.