Arizona cross country team races for the first time in over a year

Chloe Hislop

Thea Ramsey at the Dave Murray Invitational for University of Arizona cross country on Sept. 13, 2019. The UA’s women’s cross country team won the meet with 21 points.

The University of Arizona’s cross country teams proved on Friday, Feb. 5, at the Rolling Hills Golf Course, that golf courses aren’t made just for teeing off on a Sunday afternoon, but for racing 6K’s and 8K’s as well.

Going up against UCLA and ASU, the Arizona Wildcats placed second overall for both the men and women with the ladies tallying 34 points and the gentlemen pulling in 45. 

Arizona’s top runner, Keelah Barger, came in first place overall for the women with a whopping time of 21:41:3 in the 6K with freshman Grace Driskill following behind to come in second for the Arizona team on only her first collegiate race. 

The men had a similar result with superstar Shem Kemboi being the team’s top finisher with freshman Galvin Curley following behind to come in second for Arizona’s team finishers on only his first collegiate race as well.

It seems Driskill and Curley will be freshmen to keep an eye on this season.

Athletes and coaches all left the race, however, with what seemed to be discontent regarding the results. Arizona is used to taking down UCLA and holding stronger, more consistent times as a team, but it is important to remember that Arizona’s cross country team had quite the wait leading up to Friday’s race. In fact, it had been over a year since the Wildcats last stepped their Nike spikes into a cross country course. 

This race seemed like it was more so used to remind the Wildcats what it feels like to be wearing that Arizona jersey and craving that race day feeling again.

The Rolling Hills Golf Course was a great location to test Arizona’s fitness, see the strength of the freshman and get the Wildcats excited and focused on the races to come. 

Follow Johnnie Mitchell on Twitter