Shelton: Make the most of college

President Robert Shelton gave his first speech to the class of 2010 last night during the Freshman Convocation at Centennial Hall. Shelton is beginning his first school year as the UA president after former president Peter Likins retired in June.

President Robert Shelton encouraged freshmen to make the most of their college experience by attending not only football games but also plays and dance performances put on by fellow students.

During the 2006 convocation last night, Shelton said he had no trouble relating to the incoming freshman class because he also considers himself a freshman at the UA in his first year as president.

Shelton, the first in his family to attend college, said he entered higher education without knowing what to expect.

“”I want you all to make the most of your college experience,”” said Shelton. “”It goes by quickly. Don’t be passive.””

Shelton managed to say, “”Welcome, new Wildcats,”” before being drowned out by applause. He shrugged and waited with a smile on his face for the applause to die down.

Shelton emphasized the many opportunities available for undergraduates at the UA, such as research.

In addition, Shelton said students should take full advantage of opportunities in and out of the classroom.

“”Or, as Mark Twain put it, ‘Never let school get in the way of your education,'”” Shelton said, quoting Samuel Clemens.

Shelton took on a more serious expression as he explained to students that they are the university’s future and that they should work hard to maintain the school’s integrity.

“”You will extend our reach into the unknown, and you will replace us,”” Shelton said.

Shelton also said he can relate to the freshmen’s parents since he has one daughter in medical school and two other children who also attended universities.

Student Body President Erin Hertzog took the podium after Shelton and also encouraged students to make the most of their college experience.

Shelton’s speech was well-received by the freshman class.

“”I found the speech encouraging,”” said Ashley Perez, a music performance freshman.

Alex Hale, an aerospace engineering freshman, thought Shelton’s speech was inspirational.

“”I liked the way he tried to relate to us by calling himself a freshman as well,”” Hale said.