Welcome to the Greek Life: Fair flaunts rushing options

Will Ferguson
Will Ferguson / Daily Wildcat Members of Lambda Theta Phi, the first latino fraternity in the country, march onto the stage at the Student Union Memorial Center’s ballroom. Their performance was part of an informatin fair for campus sororities and fraternities. The photo was taken on January 25, 2012.

Fraternity and sorority members held a Greek Fair on Wednesday to show potential members what Greek Life has to offer.

Members set up tables around the Grand Ballroom in the Student Union Memorial Center with brochures and fliers explaining their core values. All four of the Greek councils were present at the fair to give a variety of perspectives to interested students.

“I’m interested in rushing because I want to find a place on campus where I can hang out with people I know and have a good time,” said Sean Becker, a psychology freshman and attendee at the fair. “I know that fraternities are lifelong bonds with guys, and it can also help you get a job in the future.”

At each table, sorority and fraternity members talked about their experiences in Greek Life, as well as the benefits and sense of community it provides to its members.

“It’s a family type of atmosphere and aspect in every sense,” said United Sorority and Fraternity Council President Danae Figueroa. “Maybe you need a sister or brother to be there as a friend, or as a motivator.”

This sense of community and prospect for new friendships is the driving point in some students’ decision to try to join a sorority or fraternity, she said.

“I’m actually trying to find a group of people I can fit in with,” said Rebecca Geren, a pre-computer science freshman. “I haven’t really found a group of people that I can be close with yet, so I’m just trying to meet new people.”

But Greek Life does not solely focus on establishing new friendships, Figueroa said. They also emphasize academics and community involvement.

“Last year we made academics much more important than we have in the past,” said Interfraternity Council President Ryan Roberts. “We’re really trying to refocus on academics and our community.”

With the new grade point average requirement, students coming out of high school must have a 3.0 GPA to rush a fraternity governed by the Interfraternity Council, and if a student has 12 or more college credits, they must have a 2.5 GPA or higher, Roberts said.

“I’m interested in rushing because I want a group of guys I can depend on and group of close guys that I can talk to about anything I want,” said Carson Cleverly, a pre-business freshman. “I can go to them for academic help and ask the upperclassmen about a certain topic, or just college life in general if I have problems.”

Each sorority and fraternity chapter has different criteria they look for in members, but most agree that students must uphold a specific set of ideals.

The Greek Life councils look for certain qualities in new members such as academic strength, leadership and service to the community, said Panhellenic Council President Lexi Shinn.

“What we’re looking for in new members is what we’re founded on and what our pillars consist of,” she said. “We’re looking for people who will emulate and be a part of those ideals and ultimately make our community more well-rounded.”