Women’s tennis falls at ITA regional

Ryan Revock
Ryan Revock/ The Daily Wildcat Carli Cassity plays in the doubles Wildcat Invitationals Friday, Oct. 11, 2013.

Arizona women’s tennis competed at the ITA Regional Tournament in San Diego over the weekend and lost the singles, doubles, quarterfinal round and round 16.

In doubles, the No. 1 ranked team in the nation, USC’s Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria, 8-2, defeated seniors Kim Stubbe and Lacey Smyth. USC’s Giuliana Olmos and Zoë Scandalis beat senior Akilah James and freshman Lauren Marker 8-6.

On Friday, two UA doubles teams made it to the second round of 16, and in singles Stubbe advanced to the quarterfinals. James and Marker took on Cal State Fullerton’s Morgan McIntosh and Kalika Slevcove, securing the victory 8-5. Smyth and Stubbe defeated UC Santa Barbara’s Kiersten Meehan and April Scatliffe, 8-2.

Stubbe won against San Diego State’s Hailey Johnson in the round of 32, 6-3, 6-0, and UCLA’s Catherine Harrison, 6-4, 6-2, in the round of 16, with her victories leading her to Saturday’s quarterfinal round.

In singles play, the rest of the players garnered wins in the round of 32, but all lost to the opponents in the round of 16. James defeated USC’s Kaitlyn Christian, 6-0, 6-4, but fell to Pepperdine’s Lorraine Guillermo, 6-2, 6-2. Marker defeated San Diego State’s Tamitha Nguyen, 6-2, 7-5, but was handed a loss by USC’s Sabrina Santamaria, 6-2, 6-2. Smyth defeated Ellie Yates of USC, 2-6, 6-1, 7-5, but fell to UCLA’s Jennifer Brady, 6-7(4), 6-1, 6-1.

Arizona got off to a successful start and advanced in both singles and doubles to the quarterfinal round and round of 16 on Thursday. The Wildcats had four singles players and one doubles team go undefeated on the first day of tournament play.

“The team really showed up today,” said head coach Vicky Maes in a press release. “Kiki [Akilah] and Lauren had a great start in doubles and crushed their opponents. They kept the momentum going in singles, as did Lacey and Kim.”

James and Marker started things off in doubles play, defeating Long Beach State’s Laura Eales and Gabriela Tilikeridisova, 8-2. In singles play, James edged out San Diego State’s Kristin Buth 6-2, 7-5, and Marker defeated Morgan Thomas from UCLA, 6-3, 6-2.

Other players going undefeated on day one were Smyth and Stubbe. Smyth topped San Diego’s Marta Stojanovic, 6-1, 6-1 and Stubbe claimed victory over Hawaii’s Rebecca Faltusz, 6-1, 6-0.
On Nov. 1, the Wildcats will head to Houston for the University of Houston Invitational.

— Follow Brittney Smith @brittsmith14