On the Spot

On the Spot

We talked to Nathan Moore, who was carrying a sign for medicinal marijuana, this weekend at the Coachella Valley Music Festival in Indio, Calif.

Moore: We’re at Coachella, guys! Coachella, guys! 2008, yo! Right before the crash.

Wildcat: Before the crash?

M: Oh yeah!

W: What does that mean?

M: Let’s not talk about that.

W: Is there going to be a disgusting thing that’s gonna happen?

M: Let’s talk about medical marijuana. That’s what we’re here to do. We’re here from Los Angeles to get people legal, to use marijuana as medicine for their condition. They can legally use nature’s medicine, as God intended marijuana to be used.

W: But did God intend marijuana to be used for recreation as well?

M: Well, you know what? You may have a misconception about what recreational use of marijuana is. Because one of the conditions that pre-qualifies you to use marijuana is stress. And the mainstream media since 1930 has been brainwashing the American public and the world into thinking marijuana is a negative drug, but it actually is a plant. So people who have a medical condition can use marijuana for stress relief, or other conditions that aren’t so dear, or terminal. They’re giving a bad name to the mainstream media. When the corporations that own this country and own the media are cramming chemicals down our throats every time we turn the corner. From the water we drink to the food we eat. All these prescription pills, they have all the doctors writing prescription pills. We’re here to let people know to put down the government pills and to pick up nature’s medicine.

W: So, what diseases does marijuana cure?

M: It doesn’t cure any disease, but it can relieve and help many conditions. As a matter of fact, marijuana is one of the No. 1 inflammatory medicines. It’s also the No. 1 epileptic seizure medicine.

W: Oh, really?

M: Oh yes!

W: So if you’re doing coke all night and you get seizures, you can do the marijuana to settle you down?

M: Oh yes! Definitely. Definitely.

W: If I call the number, will it give me marijuana?

M: What our number’s going to do – 888-623-8330 – that’s going to put you in touch with one of our local cannabis consultants. Call the doctor in your area so you can get qualified to grow, consume and possess cannabis under California state law.

W: So they’re prescribing it, and you can go to Walgreens or whatever.

M: Yeah. If you want to get the government pills, some goverpills, that are designed to kill you and make you sick, you’re going to want to get a prescription and then go to CVS or Walgreens, or one of those other drug dealers!

W: Yeah, fuck them!

M: That’s right.

W: Fuck them!

M: God used this plant the way he meant it to be. High five!

– interview by Andi Berlin