No. 4 Arizona MBB crush Washington by 24 points

Jackie Cabrera

Arizona men’s basketball head coach Tommy Lloyd claps after the team scored two points against USC on Saturday, Feb. 5, in McKale Center. The Wildcats won the game 63-72.

The Arizona men’s basketball team defeated Washington by a score of 92-68 in Seattle at the Alaska Airlines Arena on Sunday, Feb. 13. 

With this win, Arizona now is 22-2 on the season and 12-1 in Pac-12. The Wildcats also completed a series of three wins this week that makes six in a row after the loss at UCLA.

Arizona started slow, as often happens out of Tucson. Down as much as 14 points, Tommy Lloyd’s team came back closing the half up 45-36, carried by 15 points of Azuolas Tubelis (he finished the game with 21). 

The Lithuanian looked well past the ankle sprain that slowed him down for a couple of games. For Washington, Terrell Brown looked unstoppable, scoring 24 points in the first 20 minutes and closing with 29.

In the second half, Arizona kept going at the same pace as the end of the first. Bennedict Mathurin took off, scoring 25 points with just 11 shots. 

Dalen Terry had another solid performance with 12 points and seven assists as well as Oumar Ballo who had 10 points and five rebounds. Christian Koloko played another good game, confirming himself as one of the best rim-protectors in the league.

Once again, Arizona played with terrific pace, taking advantage of their size to find easy baskets underneath the rim and to protect their hoop on defense. 

With these wins this week, the Wildcats now made a case to climb up even higher on the AP rankings, considering that #3 Purdue lost 82-58 against unranked Michigan (who Arizona beat back in November) on Thursday. 

Next up: Arizona will face Oregon State on Thursday and Oregon on Saturday. Both games will be at McKale.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter