Find good food with your pint on St. Paddy’s Day

Frog and Firkins Super Smothered Burger, toped with sautǸed mushrooms, onions, and two slices of Swiss cheese served with a pint of Guiness draft.
    Frog and Firkin’s Super Smothered Burger, toped with sautǸed mushrooms, onions, and two slices of Swiss cheese served with a pint of Guiness draft.

St. Patrick’s Day has become one of those holidays where everyone, including the non-Irish, feels celebratory. And with the festive holiday falling on spring break this year, it means you can celebrate without having to recover in time for that afternoon physics class the next day.

With so many bars and pubs nearby – this is a college town, after all – you won’t be struggling to find a good pint on St. Patrick’s Day. Of course, you’ll need something more to go with your green beer and green pants: food. Bars and pubs can offer some wonderful brews, but they often let their grub fall to the wayside. The following places are within walking distance from campus, but some are better than others when it comes to the food.

(Service may be spotty on this day, so you may have a long wait when ordering something to eat. Then again, that’s what friends and pints are for.)

University Boulevard:

Frog & Firkin 874 E. University Blvd. – This rousing English-style pub often hosts a lively crowd. You can find tasty food and good, friendly service along with a wide selection of brews. The cheap fare means you’ll have more money for another round.

Choice eats: The Firkin Super Smothered Burger with fries ($7.50). This is one burger where, despite the tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, onions and Swiss cheese, the flavor of the meat comes through clearly.

The Auld Dubliner 800 E. University Blvd. #104 – Claims of authenticity are usually a danger sign whenever it comes to any chain restaurant. Sadly, the Auld Dubliner meets such expectations. The food’s OK but pricey. A veggie burger is the least expensive item at $9 while most of the traditional Irish dishes are $13 and not worth sacrificing a few drinks. Service can include absent, indifferent servers and carelessly cooked food. You’re better off eating elsewhere or just enjoying a pint or two.

Choice eats: Another Magners Irish Cider ($6).

Gentle Ben’s 865 E. University Blvd. – What you get from the food and service is the luck of the draw. You can find something great like the Diane Burger or you can find something as bland and depressing as the Southwestern Burger. Sometimes you may get a great, attentive server or someone who would rather be in an organic chemistry class than serving you. Flip a coin before going in for a bite to eat; otherwise, settle in and enjoy the festivities.

Choice eats: Diane Burger with fries ($6.95). A rich mix of onions and mushrooms, with a slice of Swiss cheese, tops this generous burger with a couple dollars left over for a drink.

Fourth Avenue

Bumsted’s 500 Fourth Ave. – Here you’ll find generous portions, from the half sandwiches to the tantalizing desserts that greet you at the bar. Complaints about the service have, thankfully, proved to be unfounded based on recent visits. The food, many titled with sexual names, can be embarrassing to order aloud for the prudish, but it’s well worth the attention.

Choice eats: Any half sandwich ($5.25) with an upgrade to sweet potato fries ($1.95). The half sandwich label is misleading since what you get would normally be considered a full sandwich elsewhere. The sweet and salty flavor of the sweet potato fries puts regular fries to shame and is well worth the exchange of a beer.

The Surly Wench 424 N. Fourth Ave. ð- This place features a dark bar with a high ceiling, a few pool tables and, tucked in the back, a stage for the occasional burlesque or fashion show. What can be easy to miss amid all the curvaceous forms is the food, which includes standard bar fare such as sandwiches and burgers alongside unusual items like a spicy mac ‘n’ cheese.

Choice eats: Fish and chips ($7.50). The tender, flaky cod is wrapped in a crisp, light coating of deep-fried batter and comes with a side of malt vinegar. The crosshatched fries were up to par for the fish. This classic combination is perfect for a day that honors one of Ireland’s patron saints.

Bison Witches 326 N. Fourth Ave. – With quick, consistent food and service, Bison Witches is an easy draw and a good place to hang out. Be sure to get there early or have friends save a spot for you; otherwise you may be hard-pressed to find a seat in this tiny space during St. Patrick’s Day.

Choice eats: Half sandwich and soup special ($6), especially the Jayhawk with cream of broccoli soup. Even at half portions, the Jayhawk and soups are big enough that you’ll have leftovers to take home. Then again, that may not be your top concern during this holiday.