Arizona football upsets No.12 UCLA at Rose Bowl Stadium

Amelia McAnear

The Arizona football team’s offensive line celebrates an interception at the game against the University of Colorado Boulder on Saturday, Oct. 1, at Arizona Stadium. The Wildcats would go on to win the game 43-20 and advance their record to 3-2.

The Arizona football team took on No.12 UCLA at the Rose Bowl on Nov. 12 winning by a score of 34-28. 

The Wildcats struck first with a 10-yard rushing touchdown from running back Michael Wiley. The Arizona football team took the lead 7-0 following a solid drive from quarterback Jayden de Laura. 

Five minutes later, the Arizona football team would make it a two-score game with another Michael Wiley touchdown. This time a 22-yard reception for de Laura’s first touchdown pass of the game to make the score 14-0. 

The UCLA Bruins responded at the start of the second quarter by driving down the field to the 1-yard line. Running back Zach Charbonnet would punch it through for the touchdown making the score 14-7 Arizona. 

The UCLA offense kicked it into gear, scoring again toward the middle of the second quarter. Quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson connected with the tight end Hudson Habermehl for the 51-yard touchdown reception to tie the game at 14. 

The game would go quiet for a short period until de Laura drove the Wildcat offense down the field to the 3-yard-line. De Laura finished off the drive with a 3-yard rushing touchdown to make the score 21-14 Arizona on top going into halftime. 

To start the second half, the Arizona defense was playing very well, forcing UCLA turnovers. This wouldn’t last long as UCLA would tie the game, once again after driving down the field and getting to the one-yard-line. Charbonnet, the running back, ended the drive with his second 1-yard-rushing touchdown making the score 21 all. 

The Arizona offense would quickly respond early in the fourth quarter. De Laura led the offense down the field, getting to the UCLA 35-yard-line where kicker Tyler Loop successfully put the ball through the uprights to take the lead 24-21. 

UCLA would immediately fight back with a quick drive down the field followed by another Charbonnet rushing touchdown, this time from 5-yards out to take the lead 28-24. 

On the next drive, the Wildcats really came to life with an impressive drive, making it into the red zone where de Laura would connect with wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan for a 17-yard touchdown completion putting Arizona back on top 31-28 with seven minutes left in the game. 

With one minute remaining in the fourth quarter, the Wildcats would pad their lead with a successful 23-yard field goal from Loop to make it a 6-point Arizona lead, 34-28. 

The Bruins drove down the field for the last chance at victory but were stopped by the Arizona defense as time expired, and the Wildcats got the best win of the season by a score of 34-28.

This is the first time that Arizona has beaten a top-15 team in the country since 2017. 

The Arizona football team will face Washington State University on Saturday, Nov. 19, in Tucson. If Arizona can win its final two games, they would be eligible to play in a bowl game for the first time since 2017. 

Follow Cole Johnson on Twitter