Police Beat: Feb. 20

‘Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay’ bust for baseball players

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a call made by a resident assistant at Villa del Puente Residence Hall about students drinking and partying in the dorm on Wednesday night at 10:30. A student said she was walking down the hall and heard multiple people in the room and “smelled spiritous liquor.”

UAPD officers arrived and saw a box of chardonnay. The officers asked who the residents of the room were and two men raised their hands. The officers asked the two if they had been drinking and if they were feeling the effects of the wine, and they responded that they were “a little buzzed.”

The officer asked why they were drinking and the students replied, “Because it’s wine Wednesday.” The students said they purchased the wine from Safeway on Broadway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue and the cashier had never asked to see their identification. Both of the students admitted to having about a glass and a half of the wine. The two students, both members of the UA baseball team, were arrested and cited for minor in possession.

Fiji three meets UAPD

An officer pulling out of UAPD headquarters at 11:15 p.m. on Wednesday saw three women walking out of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, stumbling, laughing and getting into a taxi cab. The officer pulled over the cab and asked to speak to the girls. The officer asked if they had been drinking tonight and where. The girls replied, “We had only three to four shots of vodka and we came from the Fiji house.”

The officer noted that their speech was slurred, that they had trouble identifying themselves and that their breath smelled strongly of alcohol. The officer checked their identification and saw that all three were underage. They were arrested and cited for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Vandal has S-O-L-E purpose

UAPD officers were on patrol around the Sky View Apartments on Wednesday at 9:15 p.m. and noticed fresh graffiti paint on the south-facing brick wall. It was blue and purple paint that spelled out S-O-L-E with a man’s face detailed with hair and wrinkles. The entire graffiti was about 8 feet high and 8 feet wide.

The officers took photos, then called the university maintenance crew about the graffiti. Police inspected the surrounding areas but were unable to find the spray cans or any suspects.