Kisses & cocktails: Best bars for dates

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Tim Glass
    Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

It’s pretty easy to meet someone at a bar. You arrive, buy a drink, get or give “”the look”” and boldly strike up a conversation. But for those of us who already have somebody in mind and are searching for a nice venue with good drinks, here are some great date bars. Some are classier, others just a lot of fun, but you’ll be sure to find a bar to try out with that special someone. The following prices are based on two people ordering two drinks each, though prices vary based on day and time.

The classic date – Sullivan’s Steakhouse

It’s an expensive restaurant by day and a swanky bar by night. Walk in and sit at a serpentine bar, reminiscent of an Old Hollywood speakeasy. Dark wood walls with Art Deco paneling are illuminated by candlelight to create a husky, sophisticated tone. Live jazz music hums through the air, forcing you closer to your date. The crowd is a bit older, decked out in semi-formal attire, but it’s a nice change from jerseys and jeans. Stop by Thursday and Sunday nights for $5 martinis and wine glasses with some scrumptious sides in this all-too-glamorous bar.

1785 E. River Rd.

299-4275

Bar hours: Monday – Friday: 5:30 p.m. – 2 a.m., Saturday – Sunday: 5 p.m. – 2 a.m.

$20-$40

The exotic date – Sur Real

To prove you’re edgy and adventurous, take your date to Sur Real on Saturdays. Boasting spicy Latin American cuisine, the restaurant transforms into a hip salsa club after 10 p.m. that coincides deliciously with happy hour. The bar is effervescent with brightly colored lights, and fans undulate from the roof to cool the dancers. Televisions display flame animations, while towering fake plants create a jungle-esque setting that makes you want to leap onto the floor. Sur Real is loud, vibrant and without a doubt, uproariously sexy.

3001 E. Skyline Dr.

529-2644

Bar hours: Monday – Thursday: 9 p.m. – midnight, Friday – Sunday: 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.

$15-$30

The party date – Gentle Ben’s Brewing Co.

Well-known and well-loved, Gentle Ben’s is a staple of the UA’s bar scene. With bars inside and out, Ben’s late-night activity occurs on the second floor, allowing for a view of University Boulevard. The bar is remarkably well-lit and contains many places to sit down and chat with your date. The bar sets metallic and natural elements against each other to create a fun place to party. It’s noisy and crowded, but that’s all right — you’re swaying on the dance floor anyway. Thursday nights include two-for-one drinks, making it a night to see and be seen. Couples separated by the 21-year-mark can go after 9:30 p.m. on Tuesdays for an 18-and-up dance party.

865 E. University Blvd.

624-4177

Bar Hours: Monday – Wednesday: 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Thursday – Sunday: 11 a.m. – 2 a.m.

$10-$35

The intimate date – Armitage

A stylish wine lounge at La Encantada, this venue is perfect for every couple in every mood. Armitage has an urban, old-world feel, juxtaposing a harsh concrete floor with deep-set leather couches and curling iron chandeliers. Look around to find scrumptious curvilinear details ranging from a chateau-like roof to towering windows. While the environment might be laid back, the staff is anything but. Without the snobbery of fine wine connoisseurs, they’ll guide you through the maze of wine and cheese selections. For those who really want to impress their date, Armitage has an extravagant special three-course food and wine pairing for $99 per couple for Friday to Sunday of Valentine’s Day weekend. For those with shallower pockets, Wednesdays advertise half-priced bottles all day and there is a complimentary wine tasting with any $10 food purchase every Tuesday.

2905 E. Skyline Dr., Suite 168

682-9740

Bar hours: Monday – Friday: 11 a.m. – midnight, Saturday – Sunday: 11 a.m. – 2 a.m.

$30-$100