“Solar powered and by the hour, the UA plants new parking meters”

New parking meters that will allow students to stop counting coins and making excuses to dash out and feed the meter will be installed on campus this week.

Parking and Transportation Services will replace the 400 coin-operated meters on campus with 35 digital, solar-powered ones.

The new meters function more as “”parking meter stations,”” said Bill Davidson, PTS marketing specialist. Each meter will serve approximately eight to 12 spaces at a time.

New meters will use debit, credit and CatCards instead of coins.

Those who sign up for an online account through PTS can set up an alert system to notify them when their meter’s almost up.

“”Say, for example, you’re parked in a spot and you’re either in a class or if you work here and you’re in your office. You’ll get a text message saying that your meter is going to expire,”” Davidson said.

Users will also be able to add money by phone.

The account will also allow students to search for available meter space. Account information is secure and no information is stored in the meter, Davidson said.

“”We’re very excited about having the new meters brought to campus. It brings us up to the current age,”” Davidson said.

The meters cost $5,596, said Mike Delahanty, the PTS operations manager.

“”It’s going to save us money in the long run because we have a staff of people that go around and collect coins, “” Davidson said. “”It’s a lot of work, actually.””

Information on how to sign up for an account will be available online at www.parking.arizona.edu sometime this week, Davidson said.