Selsky named Pac-10 Player of Week

For the third straight week, a Wildcat baseball player was named the Pacific 10 Conference Player of the Week.

Sophomore right fielder Steve Selsky followed Jett Bandy and Joey Rickard as the latest to earn the award for his performance last week.

Selsky hit .500 against the University of New Mexico and the University of Oregon, while adding two home runs, 10 runs scored, eight RBIs, three stolen bases and accumulating a .900 on-base percentage to complete his impressive week at the plate.

Selsky’s .450 batting average overall ranks second on the team behind Bandy (.470), and, after last week, he leads the Pac-10 with 49 hits and 35 runs scored and is in the top five in RBIs (27) and on-base percentage (.516).

His right-handed bat was a major catalyst in Arizona’s recent 15-game winning streak. National voters took notice of the Wildcats during their run, and Arizona is now ranked in the three major college baseball polls.

The USA Today/ESPN coaches poll has Arizona in its top 25 for the first time all year at No. 20.

Arizona (20-5, 2-1 Pac-10) moved up one spot to No. 18 in Collegiate Baseball’s poll and appears at No. 22 in Baseball America’s rankings.

The Wildcats ended their 25-game homestand to open up the year on Sunday and will take on California (12-10, 0-3) in Berkeley, Calif., in a three-game series set to begin on Thursday.

­— Michael Fitzsimmons