‘Fest great finale

Friday, the final day of Wildcat Welcome, saw Bear Down Friday and CatFest join together to form the largest and final event of the week.

Hosted on University Boulevard, CatFest turned Geronimo Plaza into a venue by bringing singer-songwriter Eric Hutchinson and opening act Sunday Afternoon to perform. It was the first time that Bear Down Friday and CatFest were paired together.

“”The turnout was great,”” said Tommy Bruce, president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona. “”Over the hour and a half concert we had over 500 people show up.””

CatFest is the culminating event of Wildcat Welcome, the welcoming week for returning and incoming students, which features events hosted by departments and groups from all around campus. CatFest was organized and supported by ASUA in conjunction with the University Activities Board.

During the 15 years of CatFest, it has become a tradition to bring up-and-coming artists that usually make it big later on, Bruce said in reference to Hutchinson.

“”It’s a really fun event, and a great way to get people excited about the school year and the game,”” said Kaitlin Simpson, senior ASUA member. “”We got a really great crowd this year. The turnout was great.””

“”It’s an event to make the students feel acclimated,”” said Bruce. “”It gives ASUA an opportunity to provide community events, and teach the students a little bit about the university. There’s a whole variety of events that occurred during CatFest, all for the goal of working towards a stronger university community.””

CatFest took place between 7:30 and 9 p.m. and hosted students and residents alike.

Though intended primarily for freshmen, there was a wide array of people, including many upperclassmen, said Simpson.

“”I think it’s cool. The band is pretty good,”” said Brent Scheid, a pre-business freshman.

Engineering freshman Josh Bowdish agreed. “”It’s fun. There’s been posters and flyers for CatFest everywhere,”” he said.

Although Bowdish had not attended any other events offered through Wildcat Welcome, he thought CatFest was a good culmination.

“”I think it’s good to give students something to do to make college a more fun experience. Anything, really, to get them out of the dorms,”” said Bowdish.

Bruce attended the event and was happy to see the enthusiasm and fervor of students.

“”I encourage students to take part in anything they (can) in their four to five years at the university. Freshmen need to take the initiative and go out there to learn what is offered on our campus. They really need to make the best of their experience,”” said Bruce.

Wildcat Welcome began during the last week of summer and continued through the first week of classes. It is only offered during the fall semester.