Men’s golf: Liaw places second as Wildcats take ASU invite

Coming off a disappointing home tournament, the No. 35 Arizona men’s golf team won the ASU Thunderbird Invitational over the weekend in come-from-behind fashion at the ASU Karsten Golf Course.

The Wildcats shot a 22-under-par 830 to take the tournament played Friday and Saturday. It was the first win of the season for Arizona, as the Wildcats took down No. 7 Nevada-Las Vegas and No. 22 San Diego State, who tied for the event lead at the start of yesterday’s round.

Arizona matched its low round yesterday, eventually tying its low score for a tournament overall.

The Wildcats came back from a nine-stroke deficit to win the tournament, topping UNLV by just one stroke, as junior Henry Liaw shot an 11-under-par 202 to come in second place in the tournament overall. Junior Brian Prouty finished in third place for the tournament, just behind Liaw with an 8-under-par 205 for the three rounds.

The duo shot a combined 8-under-par yesterday, leading the way to the Wildcats’ 12-under-par 272 score on the day.

Freshman Ben Fox, who competed as an individual, came in at 11th place with a three-round score of 3-under-par 210. Junior Nathan Tyler tied for 28th with a three-round score of 1-over-par 214, and sophomore Travis Esway tied for 32nd place with a final score of 2-over-par 215.

Fellow sophomore Trey Denton, competing as an individual for the event, tied for 44th place overall at 5-over-par 218 and junior Josh Esler tied for 61st, shooting a combined score of 10-over-par 223.

Sophomore Billy Whalen, competing as an individual, shot a three-round score of 13-over-par 226 to tie for 70th place.

Senior Ben Kern of No. 80 Kansas State won the tournament, shooting a 14-under-par 199 for the lowest score in tournament history.

Both Kern and sophomore Aaron Goldberg of San Diego State shot second-round scores of 65, which is a new low for the 34-year-old tournament. Kern also shot a 65 yesterday.

The Wildcats will be competing next in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships in Los Angeles April 24-26.