Favre and Vikings monitoring elbow ailment; Jackson getting more reps in practice

MINNEAPOLIS — Brett Favre has admitted that in hindsight, he probably made a mistake in 2008.

Instead of trying to play through a torn biceps tendon in his throwing arm during his one season with the New York Jets, he should have shut himself down and accepted the end of his consecutive games streak.

Only Favre didn’t do that. After leading the Jets to an 8-3 start, the quarterback injured the biceps but continued to play and New York stumbled to one victory in its final five games and missed the playoffs.

“”Should I have sat down, taken some time off?”” Favre said last week in a conference call with New York reporters. “”Hindsight would say yeah, but I was determined to lead that team to victory and to the playoffs.””

Two years later, Favre could be faced with the same type of decision. This time it’s tendinitis in his throwing elbow that clearly is affecting him and, just like two years ago, the issue is accuracy. That was obvious at times in the Vikings’ 29-20 loss to the Jets on Monday night.

There were points in the second half when Favre grabbed his arm after making throws because of what he called a “”pulsing pain,”” and he pointed out there was inflammation and puffiness in the elbow afterward.

Favre did not participate in Wednesday’s practice and beforehand, he was wearing a sleeve on his elbow that also had wires poking out to provide stimulation to the injury. He told reporters he would be willing to end his iron man streak if the injury continued to drastically inhibit him.

Favre, who turned 41 on Sunday, has started an NFL-record 289 consecutive regular-season games, a figure that is at 313 including playoffs.

“”The zip and stuff is still there,”” Favre said. “”The accuracy was affected. There were some throws that blindfolded I felt like I could have made (against the Jets). I made some good throws, but missed on some that I don’t miss on. That’s what I don’t want to happen. From that standpoint, I don’t want to play just to play.””

Favre pointed to two passes to Percy Harvin, one to Randy Moss and another to Visanthe Shiancoe as examples of balls that had good zip but either dipped or sailed on him. Favre said talk about his footwork being off is nonsense because “”my feet are never in line.””