UA fountain under repair

The Memorial Fountain next to Old Main will be empty for the first time in 10 years while it undergoes repairs until mid-October, said Facilities Management officials.

The fountain, situated at the west entrance of Old Main, was built to honor UA students who lost their lives in World War I.

The fountain has been leaking water for several years but remained running until this fall. The water was shut off a month ago so outside vendors could come in and examine the damage more thoroughly, said Chris Kopach, the associate director of Facilities Management.

Although the exterior of the fountain is fine, the interior lining has cracked and a repair will cost between $20,000 and $60,000, Kopach said.

Kopach said he and his team have been meeting with contractors to get estimates for recoating the inside. They hope to have the problem fixed and the fountain up and running again by mid-October for family weekend.

The last time the fountain had any sort of maintenance was 10 years ago, when the fountain’s interior was coated with fiberglass, Kopach said.

“”Other than that, there hasn’t been a whole lot of renovation to it,”” Kopach said.

Normally, when the fountain is functioning properly, it gets checked daily for cleanliness and receives a “”deep-cleansing”” each month, Kopach said.

Kristin Donnelly, a psychology freshman, said repairing the fountain will be worth the cost.

“”The fountain was one of the things that drew me in (to the UA); it made this whole campus more like a resort rather than a school. The fountain makes the campus more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and it is a symbol of U of A,”” Donnelly said.